99ron fuel

Guest GrahamGooner

Guest GrahamGooner

I noticed that my local Tesco petrol station's 'quality' unleaded is now 99ron as opposed to the usual 97ron for most other petrol stations. Not only that I think it was around 97p a litre! Not sure if it made a huge difference to performance, I suppose only time will tell...

• 1 month later...

Hi Graham

I have started using Tesco 99. I am also using a lead additive (Valvemaster) as my engine is not converted. Seems to run fine and cheaper than Optimax for sure. The Jap car crowd (Subaru, Mitsubishi EVO... ) rave about it. I believe it is only sold around the south of England, don't know if that's true.

Jim

I believe it is only sold around the south of England, don't know if that's true.

If the south of England includes East Yorkshire then you are right!!! :) I have just noticed tha the local Tesco (Bridlington) now has 99 Octane 'Super Unleaded' at around 95p/litre...

I heard yesterday that our local Tesco is getting 99 Octane soon. This is in Stockton on Tees, North East England.

The south is getting bigger!!

Graeme

If your engine runs okay on 97, how can 99 make any difference?

If you had to adjust the ignition timing to get it to tolerate 97, it might.

If you increased the compression ratio to take advantage of the higher octane number, it might.

Otherwise, no way!

The octane number is a measure of how knock-resistant the fuel is, not of the energy it can provide.

Modern engines with electronic, mapped ignition are designed to run as close to pre-ignition as they can, without actually knocking. They will benefit, but not a Triumph six!

John

As I understand it, the TR 6 cyl (PI) engines were designed to run on 100 octane (5 star). When I purchased my '5 back in September I started using ordinary unleaded with Castrol Valvemaster Plus - on a subsequent conversation with Enginuity, they highly recommended using Super Unleaded - the additional cost for the nominal mileage was relatively insignificant to any potential 'problems' that may result...

I am sure there are more learned persons out there who can add to this thread and hopefully verify this...

Bgrds

Hi Tony, my first car was a 100E Popular with the 1172 SV engine and 3 speed G/B, vacuum operated wipers (those were the days!). I had 100 thou. skimmed off the head when I decoked it, it ran and went exceedingly well on Discol or Benzole - but anything less it pinked!