Gearstick chatter

When accelerating in 3rd, the gearstick vibrates / chatters. It doesn't do it in any other gear, and seems to stop if I grab the gearstick. Is this an adjustment problem, or signs of possibly something more serious?

Terry

Morning Terry

Your not alone - mine does exactly the same!

Stuart looking at the diagram, is this a difficult fix to make?

Cheers

Jon

Morning Terry

Your not alone - mine does exactly the same!

Stuart looking at the diagram, is this a difficult fix to make?

Cheers

Jon

Not difficult really, remove H frame and the gaiter then the cover at the base of the gear stick by just slackening the two studs either side and then remove the small rear bolt while you have your hand over the cover as its sprung, lift gear lever out and look for the spring and pin which will be probably sitting in the selector cups. If missing then buy the two parts new. They fit in a drilling in the very base of the gear lever at the front. Make sure that the pin will compress the spring far enough to be almost flush as some of the springs are too long. To refit push the spring and pin in and secure with a small cable tie. (Be aware that this needs to be done carefully or you will be searching the furthest corner of the garage for the pin!) A little grease smeared on the spring helps to keep them in place before you get the cable tie round.

Then to refit the gear stick make sure you have it in the correct orientation with the pin facing forward and then just give it a quick smack with the palm of your hand downwards so it engages into the selector cups, this will displace the cable tie that can be removed after (Though it wont hurt to leave it there) Then refit cap and tighten side studs (not too tight or you wont move the stick) refit rear screw in cap and then fit gaiter and H frame. You may need to do the smack down into place a few times as the stick will try and twist sideways and so the pin and spring will come out again.

Stuart.

You may find when you take the gear lever out that the plunger is burred in the gear lever and so is not doing its proper job, its quite difficult to get the plunger out.

I found the moss plunger not to be hardened.

I found when refitting the lever, pack the plunger with grease, to hold it in place, hold the gear lever 90 degrees from the correct orientation, then when the stick is fully down in the selector rails, turn back the stick 90 degrees to the proper orientation.

Make sure you follow the manual for the side pin adjustment.

John

Thanks Stuart, that's very helpful.

Why would it happen only in 3rd though?

Terry

Maybe more wear on the selector cup at that position.

Stuart.

• 1 month later...

I'm just gearing myself up to do this job! First I need some advice on the following. The overdrive operates off the gearknob, rather than the steering column, so when I remove the gearstick, what do I do about the overdrive electrics, and how are they routed?

Thanks

Terry

I'm just gearing myself up to do this job! First I need some advice on the following. The overdrive operates off the gearknob, rather than the steering column, so when I remove the gearstick, what do I do about the overdrive electrics, and how are they routed?

Thanks

Terry

Presumably a saloon gearstick so prise the top black section off and then disconnect the switch wires from under the switch, they are fed down the centre of the stick and then out of the side lower down,be careful when re fitting not to trap the wires anywhere.

Stuart.