TR6 Suspension... again

Hi all,

Do the top bushes on the fulcrum (The original rubber ones) actually turn about the shaft or are they designed to just flex within themselves and are stationary.If so then why is there a need for castle nut which I presume points to some sort of load adjustment.I have just fitted Superflex bushes to the fulcrum pins with a new washer and castle nut.Thing is,I find I am screwing the nut up to the end where it butts up to the shoulder and does not obviously tighten any more.Everything looks good and the arms move with a certain amount of resistance and feel just right.So why a castle nut.In fact the nut is so far up the thread that the split pin only just catches the end of the nut.Would solve it by adding another washer or should I replace the nut with a nyloc one and welly it all up.Hope this makes sense..tried to be as descriptive as I can.......Oh, the superflex bushes do turn about the shaft as I asume they should.

Richard.

Edited by Richard Young

We are all ignoring you :P:P:P Cos I suspect we don't know.

For what it's worth I've NEVER had a rubber bush fitted that's meant to spin, rubbers not good at that and withstand the friction that allows. The top rubber bushes are fitted and tightened up with castellated nuts because I suspect know we are dealing with ancient suspension ideas and systems and the castellations with split pin allowed for further incremental tightening as the rubber degraded so keeping the suspension under tension. The newer Superflex bushes with integral bush (you didn't mention that but I think that's what you have and mean ...right ?) allow for the bush turning around the shaft whilst the Superflex material behaves as the older rubber material does...only lots better.

The castellated nut doesn't know how many spacers/washers or other objects you put in between it and the end of the tube so pack away until you feel the splitpin hole is positioned correctly in location to the castellated nut to allow full secure pin fitment, that's what I'd do.

Mick Richards

Richard,

I just fitted new PU bushes, not from Superflex but the TR Shop, and I noticed the same. The flat ring does not compress the PU bushes, and I believe they should not, as it would then start to work as a torsional rubber, for which a PU bush is not designed/capable of.

I noticed this on all locations, both in front and rear suspension, where I have installed these bushes.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Richard,

as Mick hints at the castle nut is probably a throw back from days of yore.

Some sort of locking nut would be required as when the arm goes up/down it may well try to undo the nut.

You do not want the wishbones coming off :o

Nothing wrong with the castle nut and split pin.

As for packers - put in enough to ensure the split pin is in safety.

Roger