TR3 Le Mans head engine

Gents

I have a 58 TR3A fitted with a high port head. It goes well enough for me but the valve guides are well worn and the head could do with removal, inspection and rebuild.

I am lucky enough to have a spare engine but that is fitted with a Le Mans head and appropriate inlet and exhaust manifolds.

I haven't removed either head yet and I realise that the condition of either could force my decision but I would welcome knowledgeable input on the practicality of rebuilding the Le Mans head and fitting it to my 3A.

I would like to do this to minimise the cars off road time.

Would there be a noticeable performance difference between the heads.

Would it be more sensible to sell off the Le Mans head and take the hit on the off road time.

Your wise thoughts appreciated

Regards

Rog

Rog

If you do fit the low port head, make sure that the head studs have enough threaded length to torque down properly. I think the high port head uses longer studs.

Les

Hi Rog,

looking at it from a different angle.

Why not buy a new Moss head - fully built and sorted for apprx £1700 + you would also get your membership paid for a year £44 by Moss.

If you have your 3A rebuilt it would cost £400/500 + time etc

The new head comes with hardened Exh. seats and is a straight fit.

You could then sell off the 3A head as is for £200/300 (may be more)

As for the LeMans head - I would have thought there would be somebody out there wanting to splash the cash for an original par.

Roger

Thanks all

Tom , I'm planning to remove and replace in one session and I'm more concerned about my turn round time than the shops.

Les that's a very good point and one that I had not considered, I'll look at this issue closely.

Roger I would only consider a new head if both heads turn out to be lost causes.

I managed to remove the head nuts on the le Mans head today and have broken the gasket joint but not removed the head yet.

Ill save that for tomorrow when I get my strength back - those nuts were blessed tight!

If it looks good and worthy of rebuilding I'll rebuild it, then I will need to understand the stud and performance differences against the current high port and decide to sell or fit.

I'll keep you posted

Best regards

Rog