Interior trim questions 1973 CR

Hi All -

First post here, so please be gentle :) .

I've just bought my first TR6 (owned a Spitfire about 30 years ago, and been in modern cars since). I've bought a 1973 CR. Just in case it rings any bells with members here, it was purchased by the previous owner from TRGB and taken over Ireland in about 2003, it would be fascinating to find the previous owner. I'm getting a few bits and pieces sorted but should pick it up shortly - hopefully while there's still a little summer left!

Anyhow, it would seem that there are components, particularly in the interior that they picked out of a CP parts bin.

For example the door cards don't have a rectangular cut out for a door pull, but all the catalogues suggest they should. I'd like to swap the cards but not sure if I can just buy CP ones - are the fixings interchangeable? Also the earlier ones are 'stag grain', the later ones 'bubble' - I've not idea which I have!

Was the Dash support originally covered? Mine is simply hard plastic and looks like it probably left the factory that way. I'd prefer something covered so it matches the crash pads.

Finally when were hazard warning lights introduced? I certainly don't seem to have any.

Well, that's it for now, but given the wealth of knowledge here and the distinct lack of any on my behalf, I expect I'll be a regular here.

cheers

Paul.

Hi Paul

Firstly welcome to the forum, you will find lots of friendly and helpful folk eager to assist.

I have a new full interior kit from tr shop. My car is a CP spec. The door cards have a knock out section on the reverse for cr spec cars.

Maybe yours have this also worth a look.

Tr shop also do a nice moulded h frame cover but very expensive.

Not sure when hazards arrived in our cars ,but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answers.

Mark

Hi Paul

Firstly welcome to the forum, you will find lots of friendly and helpful folk eager to assist.

I have a new full interior kit from tr shop. My car is a CP spec. The door cards have a knock out section on the reverse for cr spec cars.

Maybe yours have this also worth a look.

Tr shop also do a nice moulded h frame cover but very expensive.

Not sure when hazards arrived in our cars ,but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the answers.

Mark

Thanks Mark - The knockouts sounds interesting, I'll take a look at my cards when I get the chance and see.

Paul.

attachicon.gif20160909_230716.jpgrear of door card Paul

Thanks Mark! Certainly implies that the panels should be interchangeable, and it's just cosmetic differences between models. Next I'll need to work out whether I've got stag or bubble grain.

Hi, Paul,

Welcome to the forum.

If you complete DVLA form V888 (available online) with £5 fee, you can get details of most or all previous UK owners and notifiable modifications done in the past. Don't know if this would include its history in Ireland, but probably worth a try.

DVLA ask for your reason for asking for the information and seem happy with something like "I am researching the previous history of my historic vehicle to check its authenticity".

Good luck with your new car.

John

Edited by Bodiam

Thanks Guys - I'll try DVLA if I get nowhere here.

The UK plate is NRW 399M and the Irish plate is ZV 5098. I bought the car from TRGB in the UK (The previous owner sold it back the them 13 years after he bought it).

Cheers

Paul.

• 5 months later...

Hi Paul , did you resolve your trim issue?

My car was built in Nov 73 (cr5403) & seems to have a mixture of cp/cr parts - cr dash with cp switches & door closers in the door caps. I thought someone had maybe changed them over the years & so I bought a new trim kit with what I thought were the correct pull handles in the door cards & plain door caps. Now I'm not so sure. Anyone any ideas?

Hi Paul , did you resolve your trim issue?

My car was built in Nov 73 (cr5403) & seems to have a mixture of cp/cr parts - cr dash with cp switches & door closers in the door caps. I thought someone had maybe changed them over the years & so I bought a new trim kit with what I thought were the correct pull handles in the door cards & plain door caps. Now I'm not so sure. Anyone any ideas?

Hi there -

I bought new CR door cards from Rimmer Brothers in the end, and as predicted here, the pulls where knock outs so they ended up fitting just fine. The more I learn about BL in the 70s the less surprised I am about the mix-and-match approach that seems to apply to some cars though,

Paul.

My CR 5423 has the cut outs in the door panels, CP and CR dashes have different windscreen wiper switch / apertures, CP dials pivot from the bottom or so Im told . Mine has black CP wheel centres rather than the silver CR ones, mound you given the way BL operated they might be original fittings! My dash is also from a latter model as it has a hazard light switch aperture ( which I have covered with a clock) and 73 UK TR's certainly did not have hazard lights. Given that mine has MX5 seats (my choice) originality for me is not a issue!

Thank for the replies.

Been looking at various suppliers websites & think I've figured out the door pull issue. The majority state CR1 to CR12500 should have the door pull in the door cap. I bought my trim kit from moss & I think their catalogue is a misprint as it states CR5001/CF12501 on used the door pull in the door card. I think this should read CF5001/CR12501?

Hope I can persuade moss to exchange. Either way it will cost as I bought the door pull/plastics & door pull capping are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

Alan