I am looking for both side channels for the boot seal on my 1958 small mouth, does anybody make these items.

I saw a post dated Jan 2016 from Stevecross who had made some for himself, I have PM'd him but no answer, if anyone knows him could you give him a nudge.

Thanks

Steve.

Hi Ian,

The channels on my car are not original, they have been fabricated by someone before I got the car and to be honest they are not brilliant.

I would like to know the cross section and I believe they have a curve on them but not sure in which direction.

Cheers

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I attach some photos of my channels. The originals were OK'ish at the top but further down and at the bottom they had rusted away. I fabricated them in three parts, first I repaired the top section where it curves into the top of the scuttle so that I had a square edge to work from. Then I made up the main section of channel in two parts, one folded and one a flat strip - if you look at the photo of the RH one you can see where the weld joins them. I then made up the bottom section again principally in two parts; the curved base and the inner lip which was a bent strip. The channel on the left is a lot better than the one on the right - I had got the hang of it by then.

The welds were all MIG butt weld with a hit and miss technique principally made from the other side so the slight bulges you can see are where I have got too much penetration.

I have put a tape measure against some of the photos to give you an idea of size but bear in mind, I made my channels to fit my boot lid, yours may be different.

Rgds Ian