I've decided I'm going to have a go at painting some new panels. I have a decent quality compressor and spray gun and intend to use good old fashioned cellulose for a variety of reasons (already having the paint being one of them!).

Last year, I stripped the panels back to bare metal, made repairs and then protected them with a couple of coats of Bonda Primer. Is this okay as a base coat or should I remove it?

If it's okay, presumably I should flatten it off and give it a coat or two of grey primer? Can anyone recommend a suitable brand that works well under cellulose? Also, is grey primer usually mixed 1:1 with thinners?

It might turn out to be a complete disaster but at least I can say I tried! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Glenn

Declaration: This is not for a TR, but it IS a Triumph!

Edited by Glenn_Howard

180 grit to key the Bondarust then use a good quality Cellulose primer,(ICI if you can get it) that can be mixed at 1/1 or thicker if required. then wet flat that with 600 then clean off with good quality spirit wipe then thoroughly dry off, wipe over with a tack rag and paint. Dont stint on materials so buy the best and check the composition of the thinners make sure its 100% pure and doesnt have any Methanol in it.

Stuart.

I also learnt that there is a thinner for the primer coats and a different thinner for the cellulose top coat.

the nice mans at the paint shop waited until I had a third done before telling me, but the early stuff looks OK.

I only put two coats of the final colour on. Now wish I'd sprayed a few more layers on. (Like Tony.)

There are plenty of books/websites around to give you a few clues/tips before you actually get stuck into it.

Edited by littlejim

In addition to the above.

I bought the largest capacity compressor that would run on single phase 240 v.

When the painting phase came, I tried to find a spray gun that could handle the moderate capacity of the compressor.

After a bit of loooking up and reading, ended up with an Asturo AOM eco/sx.

Still had to have periodic pauses on the larger panels while the compressor caught up, but suspect I was better off than just using the first gun I came across.

A few years ago someone on the forum asked how to go about spraying a car with cellulose. At that time I was just about going to spray my wife's Spitfire which I had rebuilt etc.

Stuart gave an excellent step by step layer by layer (I think it was 9 layers altogether) guide which I followed and achieved very good results. I didn't need to 'T' cut afterwards.

Perhaps yuo could ask Stuart to do it again.

Colin

How much celulose do you need to paint a tr3 properly?

If your doing the whole shell inside and out and all the outer panels inside and out then 12ltrs.That will give you 4 coats over everything and leave you with just under a litre to use for future.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart