In discussion with the local garage owner, (my coil failed after driving my TR there), The garage owner pointed out that he has seen a lot of coil failures with the type of coil I had (12V non ballast). It is a coil I bought from a normally reputable supplier, and I assumed it would be up to the job. The garage owner said that these new non-ballasted coils are just not up to scratch, and suggested I try to find an OE coil. (fortunately I have such a one so I was able to sort it out).

The reason that Works' competition cars were fitted with a spare coil mounted on the inner wing is that it takes time to remove and replace an engine-mounted coil, and that wasted time could result in loss of a place or, in the case of the Alpine Rally, a Coupe des Alpes.

And original coils do fail - I recall that my TR2's engine died as I was returning south from Stafford on a Friday afternoon in 1966, and had just joined the A45 at a roundabout. I had sufficient momentum to pull onto the grass, where I soon diagnosed coil failure using a length of wire and sidelamp bulb. A new coil fixed the problem.

Ian Cornish