I have had various seals made by a firm called Barnwell services, who manufacture all sorts of seals

they have made me new

Brake master cyl seals

Bias Valve seals

Clutch slave cyl seals

Heater water valve seals

all without a problem and they work well.

Until now when I had a clutch master cyl seal kit made up, the seals were much harder than the originals, and would not move freely within the cylinder.

I gave them a ring and explained, the reply was that they had made the seals to DOT4 spec, and a new set would be made for me arriving Tomorrow

from the original softer material.

Can anyone explain why?

all seals are for my De Tomaso and new seals are not available at the corner shop.

More likely they made them in Viton which is harder in standard offering (75-Shore) than butyl originals. Softer Viton is available to special order, e.g. 60-Shore.

Cheers, Richard

More likely they made them in Viton which is harder in standard offering (75-Shore) than butyl originals. Softer Viton is available to special order, e.g. 60-Shore.

Cheers, Richard

Collected the new seals, fitted them but again huge problems with the Material spec, the piston wouldn't move in the barrel. back to the seal maker who

had another colleague on hand who told me that another spec was needed much softer and they would send the piston and barrel to "Head Office" for further examination.

so another try next week when they land.

I could have bought a new master cyl from the USA for £75, maybe I should have in the first place.