Next job for me is installing door seals and after some research I find numerous discussions on various forums where someone states categorically that there is no seal on the rear of the door. The TRF web site and the kit that they sent me includes three pieces for each door. One for the front, clipped/glued to the scuttle, a long seal clipped/glued to the bottom of the door and one for the rear of the door that is glued on.

I'm wondering if this rear seal was a later modification and if anyone has a picture of the correct installation, ie how is the seal oriented and does it wrap under the bottom of the door or just stop at the bottom of the vertical ?

Stan

AFIK originally there wasnt a rear seal, FWIW Moss UK have just re-made the door seals and they are so much better, now being the right size and being hollow will squeeze down properly. They have also re-engineered the clips to fit these with the correct bias to one side as per original rather than the straight versions previously sold.

Stuart.

ok, thanks guys. Lovely car Graham. I guess I will leave off the rear seal and the bottom seal as the consensus seems to be that they dont fit and are not needed. Thanks for the warning about the clips Stuart, I have a lot of these so I will pick through them and see what I have in the way of offsets.

Stan

AFIK originally there wasnt a rear seal, FWIW Moss UK have just re-made the door seals and they are so much better, now being the right size and being hollow will squeeze down properly. They have also re-engineered the clips to fit these with the correct bias to one side as per original rather than the straight versions previously sold.

Stuart.

Sounds like a golden new development, Stuart.

ok, thanks guys. Lovely car Graham. I guess I will leave off the rear seal and the bottom seal as the consensus seems to be that they dont fit and are not needed. Thanks for the warning about the clips Stuart, I have a lot of these so I will pick through them and see what I have in the way of offsets.

Stan

Stan if you want a set of the new seals I can send them to you with the new clips.

Stuart.

Stan if you want a set of the new seals I can send them to you with the new clips.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, let me see how these TRF seals work out. They are foam rather than solid rubber so may compress better. BTW the 3M foam seal worked well on the spare tire cubby door. the 15mm was a little wide for some parts of the channel so I cut about 1/8inch off the width so it would sit flat in the channel all the way around the opening.

Stan

Thanks for mentioning the clip profile Stuart, another detail that I would have missed.

The image below shows three original clips (I assume they are original as they are rusted) and they have the offset. Next are three new clips that I found in a bag that came with some other spares that I bought years ago. They also have the offset. Last are the clips that came with the TRF seals and they have no offset.

I assume the purpose of the offset is to bias the seal towards whatever the seal is clipped to ?

Stan

IMAG0361%201_zpsqtkyzbny.jpg

I fitted the TRF seals today. The clips supplied by TRF worked fine. The original clips seem to be designed for easier insertion when you can only get easy access to one side of the clip. I used some needle nosed pliers to compress the clip and shove it into the hole.

I installed the front seal and the bottom seal and while they do make closing the door a little harder they do close and latch with no problems.

One more task crossed off the list.

Stan

You are correct in the assumption that they are offset to make them sit in the correct place which also makes shutting the doors easier. Only thing with sponge seals is I hope they are "closed cell" foam otherwise it will soak up water.

Stuart.

You are correct in the assumption that they are offset to make them sit in the correct place which also makes shutting the doors easier. Only thing with sponge seals is I hope they are "closed cell" foam otherwise it will soak up water.

Stuart.

Very dense foam with a smooth outer finish. Solid enough to take the clips but soft enough to compress when it has to.

seal_zpsmrdj4qmo.png