A-type Overdrive conundrum - always engaged

Greetings...

I'm flummoxed!!!

Recently (after having the column to bit to replace the indicator switch) the Overdrive has developed a problem in that as soon as I turn on the ignition, the O/D is engaged even when in neutral.

I have tested the switch wiring connecting a meter to the wiring terminal connections under the dash.

I have tested the gearbox wiring connecting a meter to the temp all connections exiting the tunnel close to the headlight dip/main beam switch. All satisfactory with open circuit in neutral, first and reverse - close circuit in 2nd, 3rd and 4th as it should be.

Overdrive relay verified by substitution of a new unit with same result in that as soon as power is applied to the ignition, the relay operates and energising the solenoid, engaging overdrive.

Fortunately there appears to be no damage to the O/D even though I did reverse the car prior to realising what was happening. So the car is usable other than having an operational O/D...

Any ideas/pointers would be more than appreciated as I believe I have checked everything through - though possibly not!

Many thanks

Ian

Ian I had exactly the same symptoms in BUO. In my case I disconnected the OD switch from the loom at the first set of connectors where the switch cabling leave the steering column and found the fault was due to the cables being 'pinched' in the steering column clamp.

ATB Graham

Hi Graham

Many thanks - my 'though processes' we're taking me to check that area out better!

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianhoward

Checked the overdrive switch harnes and there was an Earth on one of the wires though unable to see any evidence... Slackened everything off, moved the harness a tad and double and triple check as put everything back... All now appears functional! Happy chappie now!

Cheers

Ian