Mix n'match injectors and thoughts about my pipes.

Guys. Advice please. Having changed my rocker top gasket, I thought it was a good opportunity to fit the set of Goodridge braided injector pipes I'd bought at the last NEC Classic show. The car runs fine, has a Bosch Fuel Pump and I'be just covered 520 miles between Gosport and Glasgow over 2 days, taking in the Peak and Lake districts. All good apart from the oil leak from the old rocker gasket. Your thoughts appreciated on the following:

1. Not all of my existing injectors will screw into the new elbow nuts fitted on the braided hoses - and I'm not willing to force them with spanners. Three of the existing injector threads will screw the entire way home into their respective elbow nuts using heavy finger strength only but 3 will only turn about 10-12 mm along the thread before jamming solid as if the thread is crossed or damaged. Swapping the injectors around makes no difference, as the ones that jam do it in all of the new nuts. I have noticed that all 6 injectors have different numbers and wondered if this was a contributory factor. The 3 that screw in okay are numbered:

15 78 73125E

6 73 73125B

32 74 73125D

The 3 that just jam solid are numbered:

6 72 73125A (x2)

18 73 73125D

Incidentally the original elbow nuts, which all look the same and are connected to ageing nylon pipes, screw back onto the injector threads just fine. Any thoughts on why not all old injectors screw freely into the new elbow nuts? Is it that the injectors must have crossed threads and I'm just failing to spot it? Also, do the different numbers on the old injectors mean anything significant?

2. As for the braided hoses, I have read the adverse comments about them but intent to press ahead and try them out anyway. I can see that connecting them at the MU end might be a bit of a challenge and am considering taking the MU off for better access. Is this a straight forward job? And, if I take it off, is it a simple case of just refitting it or will it need to be bled or calibrated or purged or something?

3. If I were to buy new injectors, adaptors and O'rings (for adaptors and banjos), are there any alternatives (cheaper but just as reliable) to Rimmers?

Thanks in advance guys. David

Hi David,

talk to Neil Ferguson - http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/user/3633-k-raven-smith/

and get a set of injectors that actually match and have good threads.

If they're needed, that is. Which they probably are not . . . . .

The numbers on your existing injectors indicate their origin, first time around, as it were.

As for the braided hoses, either throw them in the scrap stillage or put them on ebay.

As for alternatives to Rimmers for PI component, yes yes and yes.

Finally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it . . . . .

The car runs fine, you say ?

So why the bloody hell piss about with changing injector pipes for no good reason ?

Not meant unkindly, but all that glisters is not gold ! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Alec

Thanks guys for the feedback and I'll follow up on your advice.

I'm chuckling at your comments Alec because I know you're right. However, the existing injector lines do need changing as they are old, tired, of different grades and one has even been patched up with rubber hose and plastic ties!! I'd feel better if they were changed as I intend to put a few thousand miles on the car this year. I'll check out new injectors too as the threads on mine do look abused on closer inspection and were probably over-tightened at one time to avoid leaks.

"Does anyone want a new set of Goodridge braided injector lines"?? Don't let this thread put you off !! Haha.

David

First, I second the recommendation for Neil Fergusson

He provides excellent value for money, top class service, quality reconditioned parts.

He is a star.

For the modest cost I would swap out your set of 6 injectors for freshly reconditioned ones.

Second, I know lots of people don't like braided pi lines but I've had them on two cars and the only downside as far as I am concerned is an increase in evaporation of fuel in the lines when the car is parked with a hot engine, resulting in more cranking to get the car to start the next time.

And they look nice

Steve

Get a set of nylon injector leads. That will eliminate a possible source of problems so you'll know it's not down to them when and if you get fuel vaporisation issues.....as I did.