Choke Cable - Prestige Throttle Linkage

Good afternoon,

I have a 1973 CR Series UK Petrol Injection TR6.

I'm looking for some advice from anyone that has fitted a 'Prestige Throttle Linkage Kit' to their 'CR' series TR6. The kit fitted to my car supplied by Malcolm at Prestige is the type fitted underneath the inlet manifolds rather than above and is working perfectly. A previous owner many years ago has cut the throttle advance part of the choke cable so I have never had it fitted to the linkage. This obviously requires some juggling between pedals when the car is cold. The remaining part of the choke cable is connected to the MU enrichment lever so starting is no problem.

I'm going to fit a new choke cable as I believe they are now available new again? Any recommendations as to the best place to buy in terms of quality rather than price is appreciated. I'm happy to pay more for a product that is of good quality and works. My question is should I be looking to fit a 'CP' or 'CR' cable to the Prestige Throttle Linkage Kit? I believe the CP cable may be longer than the CR? I have tried calling Malcolm for advice but he is presently closed until the 9th June.

Thanks for reading the post and as always your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards, Peter

Hi, Peter,

I have the same setup and needed to fit a CP choke cable in order to get enough length to reach the throttle linkage to get fast idle when on choke - the CR cable is too short.

As regards which one of the current crop is best, I'm not really up to date to offer any advice, except to say that if you are recommended one on which the twist lock works correctly and the knob doesn't pull off the third time you use it, you're doing well and should pass on the good news!

Good luck,

John

Yes. Getting a twist lock that works is essential. Mine went around 360 degrees and eventually failed.

Let me know if you find one that works.

Tim

Yes. Getting a twist lock that works is essential. Mine went around 360 degrees and eventually failed.

Let me know if you find one that works.

Tim

I sent my original CP twin choke cable to Speedy Cables for them to copy, rebuild or whatever, it twists & locks just fine.

However, if I could add to Peter's original question......I have the Prestige Overhead Linkage set-up, the CP twin cables are of equal lengths leaving at least 1' excess length on the cable which operates the linkage.

Could someone who also has the Prestige Overhead linkage advise me where & how the disposed of this excess length and how they fastened it to the linkage?

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

Richard,

I guess this is not an answer you would find helpful, having spent money with Speedy Cables, but maybe the CR cable, with the shorter fast idle wire, would fit your set up better? The inner cable is secured to the linkage using one of those bike cable type fittings, they are shown in the Moss and Rimmer catalogues.

FWIW, the length of the fast idle wire on the CP cable is 41.5" and on the CR 34.25".

Maybe you could come to an arrangement with Peter, who needs a CP cable, then get a CR for yourself (apologies if you think this a stupid suggestion!)

Kind regards,

John