<I really do not understand how some of these threads get so tied up with detail.>

Nonsence Steve

You bought a full size lift that does what you need it to do, one poster recommendd a specific used narrow lift the "Glenfinnan" at a good price that will not work with the latest Ford and Vauxhall salloons, not to much detail here at all. just good advice as I nearly bought one of those three years ago for a friend and did not in the end due to lack of width on that specific lift.

With regards to your lift using a 13 amp socket and plug.

Great for you but my lift would not work with one and the other three lifts I have assisted install, 2 blew fueses with a 13 amp plug the other two worked with the 13 amp plug.

Because your kit worked first time, that does not mean people should not check the options to get it right first time rather than hope to be lucky like you were.

Eddie

My comments are realistic.

Read the last line of my post prior to the PS (buy what you need)

I am assuming that anyone intending to spend a couple of grand on a lift will have the sense to measure their vehicles.

I also assume that anyone wishing to install a working lift will be fitting into an appropriate size workshop.

If the space limitations are such that you can only fit a 1.8m rather than a 2.2m lift then it really should not be there. (18" ?)

"Luck" does not really come in to it for an electrical item.

You check the manufacturers requirements and fit accordingly.

As long as you have a decent supply to your workshop rather than a trailing extension lead then there should be no problem.

80 amp start? What have you got?

I live in the sticks and our main incoming house supply is 80amp full load.

Copes with all my gear.

Steve

PS

The Hydraulic motor on my lift is 3HP and requires 12amps. Pretty standard for these now

Edited by Stevecross

Steve,

If you have a 3HP motor on your lift and it has never caused problems from a 13A socket I would be concerned about your mains supply wiring.

Eddie is quite correct in stating that the starting current could well be 80 Amps. Starting current for a medium sized single phase motor is always greater than the running current.