TR4A electrical advice needed

Gentlemen,

A question for the electrical experts on the Forum.

I recently upgraded from a dynamo to a 45 amp alternator. As part of the upgrade I decided to fit a 50 amp ammeter. I had run the car prior to this using the 30 amp ammeter for a few weeks without a problem I removed the dashboard and, all of the instruments were removed. The battery’s negative lead was of course detached. I refitted the instruments and wiring. Before I re-fitted the dash I thought I would check that the instrument lights were working. I reconnected the battery, then turned on the lights. I must have touched a live terminal from on of the instruments to the metal dashboard as Lucas smoke appeared and the covering on the daisy chain earth started to burn. Turned of the lights and removed the battery lead, and a quick blast with a fire extinguisher, a matter of seconds from start to finish. The effect of the fire was that the daisy chain earth had lost its sheathing and the wires to the fuel gauge and temperature gauge and gauge lights had been scorched. This morning I made a new earth daisy chain and replaced the scorched lengths of the Green/Black, Green/Blue and Red/White wires. Before I carried on and replaced the dashboard I thought I would check the wiring I had replaced by doing a continuity check with my multimeter. With the red multimeter lead to the two Green/Blacks and then the Green/Blue wires with the black multimeter lead to one of the car’s earth wires there was no continuity. However, using the Red/White wire to an earth connection I found that there was continuity. I examined the part of the loom that contains the earth wires and the Red/White wires, I unwrapped about 6 inches of the loom, the leg off the main loom to the instruments, to look for damage there as well, non apparent.

My question is, is the continuity I found on the Red/White wire normal or, have I got a short somewhere further up the loom caused by the Lucas smoke?

Thanks for the advice.

Graham

Roger,

The bulbs and holders have not been inserted into the insruments, just hanging loose. One probe of the multimeter was attached to one of the bulb holders, the other probe to an earth tag in the loom. This showed continuity.

Graham

By measuring back through the rheostat you are probably seeing continuity throught the front and rear side-lights

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

edited because of cross-posting

Edited by RobH