Electronic Tacho conversion wiring

Just got the gauges back from Speedograph and I have to say they have done a brilliant job, one small thing however BUO had an electronic conversion done on the Tacho and when I removed it I made a note of the wiring on the back of the case, what I didn't realise is that Speedograph re plate the cases as part of the refurb, so I lost my wiring info !

The Tacho has 2 wires a blue and a yellow my assumption is that the yellow goes to the coil -ve but is the blue an earth or power feed ? I think it was an ignition controlled power feed but not sure

Doh I really should have written this down somewhere !!

Can anybody tell me

If not can I damage it by connecting wrongly ?

ATB Graham

If not can I damage it by connecting wrongly ? Probably, yes.

One wire will be 12V from ignition switch, the other will go to the coil (terminal which connects with distributer). it will also need an earth - probably through the casing.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Yes have dropped them a note asking if they can help, my concern is that it may well not be a conversion by Speedograph and so they might not be able to help, but to Bob's point it may well be the '3 wire' conversion as shown here http://www.speedycables.com/wiring_tacho_faq.htmlwhich sort of fits with my thinking that there was an ignition controlled supply to it, and the case is earthed

kicking myself now for not writing it down

Ho Hum live and learn

ATB Graham

Hi Graham,

Found this post while googling Tacho conversion after reading your earlier e-mail to me! - trying to remember who I used to do it -- anyway I hope you and BUO are doing well!

Your right, it was me that had the Tacho converted to electronic - I can't find conclusive proof - all the receipts I had went with the car to Mark - which hopefully got passed on to you.. but I am 90% sure it was JDO Instruments I got to do it http://www.jdo1.com/

Best Regards

Rich

Hi Graham,

Found this post while googling Tacho conversion after reading your earlier e-mail to me! - trying to remember who I used to do it -- anyway I hope you and BUO are doing well!

Your right, it was me that had the Tacho converted to electronic - I can't find conclusive proof - all the receipts I had went with the car to Mark - which hopefully got passed on to you.. but I am 90% sure it was JDO Instruments I got to do it http://www.jdo1.com/

Best Regards

Rich

Richard many thanks for responding BUO currently in bits awaiting Stuarts attention but not looking 2 bad for a 42 year old car.

ATB Graham