TR6... Rear wings decal: "Union Jack" or "TR6"?

Nice car Alec.

I see you don't have the roll bar. Many TR6 in NA have the roll bar (or sport bar). It seems less prevalent in the UK....is that right?

Also you've got the "square" side view mirrors...we see a lot of "bullet" style here. What would be most original? Any opinions out there?

Interesting perspectives from everyone :-)

I'm leaning towards removing the UJ. Maybe I'll leave it blank for now, then warm up to the idea of the lettering.

Stan, I like the metal flap mod. Where did you source that from? Was it easy to do?

The metal flap is a drop in replacement for the plastic grill, you just ignore the two braces that were added to attach the grill. They sit below the flap so dont interfere. The flap, spring, seal and operating rod are all available from the usual vendors.

I had to add a couple of clips to secure the spring to the bulkhead.

If you are happy with manually opening and closing the flap you can stop there. To add the lever and operating rod will need some time on eBay to find the lever and knob plus some fabrication for the mounting bracket under the dashboard.

Stan

My Pimento car has black to match a pinstripe along the side, a matter of choice preference, But the following may be of help.

Rear wing decal TR6 RED, for WHITE cars only

Rear wing decal TR6 WHITE for all other colours EXCEPT YELLOW

Rear wing decal TR6 BLACK for YELLOW cars only

"The Union Jack style rear wing decals were originally factory fitted to 1974 onwards North American TR6s"

Source:- Rimm​ers catalogue.

Thank you Stan. I'll do a little search and see what I can come up with. I imagine that you have your "flap" painted to match the body colour...or is it black?

About the decal, I have seen some variations from basic to quite elaborate. Some stretching the entire length of the car all the way to the front fenders, then over the hood. I wonder if that would have been some more of U.S. marketing endeavours to make the car look more racy? Any opinions ?

-Ali

Thank you Stan. I'll do a little search and see what I can come up with. I imagine that you have your "flap" painted to match the body colour...or is it black?

About the decal, I have seen some variations from basic to quite elaborate. Some stretching the entire length of the car all the way to the front fenders, then over the hood. I wonder if that would have been some more of U.S. marketing endeavours to make the car look more racy? Any opinions ?

-Ali

I painted the flap to match the rest of the paint.

There was an optional stripe kit for the TR6, not exactly the same as the TR250 stripes but it looks good on some TR6's . Picture below is from Poolboy who is a frequent visitor here.

Background.jpg

I think the body stripes were a US option. Not sure if they were courtesy of the dealers or from UK, think the former.

And to clarify my UJ stance: just the rear decal-have a UJ on the front fender to keep the leyland badge happy...

Plus still one in the corner of my flag. Not completely sure about that one (although it looks better than the other options the govt is peddling to us presently...)

Thank you Stan for the flap info and the pic of the striping.

Clive, the info on the lettering colour vs. body proper colour was appreciated. It makes sense.

Matt, it seems like in NZ you guys had the European version. Am I correct?

So NA got the UJ to give the car the British appeal. You'd think that the car itself would have been sufficient. The American auto manufacturers weren't able to put something as stylish as the TR6... :-)

Does anyone out there have a favourite classic American that makes their heart throb like their TR6 does?

Yep, the NZ cars were the European spec (although mine is a UK refugee it seems). We have quite a few Triumphs and other assorted BL cars over here due to the vagaries of the import rules of the time. Everyone's aunt seemed to have had a Mini or Landcrab at some stage...

Not so many US cars though as the Aussies took care of the demand for muscle cars so they're not hardwired into my car obsession gland in the same way. Unless you count the US engined, euro chassis cars?