TR2 TR3 Hubcap Emblems

Just bought a set of original hubcaps complete with emblems for my TR2 Project.

The Emblems are original but faded/cracked/worn away.

I have access to an Enamelling kiln and wonder if it is possible to get an indication of original colours, like a RAL No. for paint.

Any ideas?

Steve

There are a number of variations in the original emblems. Later ones -- TR4/4A era -- are often painted, but even in the sidescreen era there are at least two types. The more common one, IMO, has the letters T R I U M P H arched across the emblem. Another variant (the kind my car had when I got it) has the letters along a diagonal line.

The colors are slightly different between the types, with the arched-style blue lighter than the diagonal-style. The red is pretty consistent -- and transparent, note.

Given that these are fairly easy to find, and not that valuable, I'd say pick something you like and go with it. There probably aren't that many choices in genuine hard fired/vitreous enamel colors anyway. HERE's one color chart online.

i-ZrthkjB-X2.jpg

C&B (latterly Moss) had the original drawing for these plus other Triumph TR badges and the colour was described as 'polychromatic blue' . Our art & design dept said that was completely useless as a colour guide, so did a match with 'Pantone' colour reference swatches for the remanufacturers.

Cheers

Peter W