Black nosed 7

Guest Alan Crome

Guest Alan Crome

Something that has puzzled me for years and I was only reminded of it yesterday when seeing one on a new VW Beetle Cab, what is the black (PVC ?) sheet that was often seen over the nose of American TR7's ?

I was always puzzled as to what it's purpose is/was when the cars were current I also remember it being advertised in a Rimmers catalogue but don't remember as to what it said its purpose is.

If I've not described it properly then I do apologise but I do not know as to what it is called, it has cut outs for lights and vents.

The product you are describing is none other than the "car bra". Oops, hope that isn't too offensive to anyone.

It's primary function is to stop the nice shiny new paintwork from getting stone-chipped etc..

Gary  :blues:

Hi Alan.  It is a "car bra".  As far as I know the only purpose was to keep stone chips off the nose of the car.  I'm not a big fan, but there are still a few around now.

I found a picture for you.

Malcolm.

Nice early car isn't it.  I took that picture at the Gaydon Triumph day in 2002.  In the pouring rain I seem to remember.  Here's one from behind too.

I'd really not considered it but I doesn't look Inca yellow does it?  That would make it Mimosa or Topaz yellow, but I don't have any relevant (very) early pictures or paint colours to make a comparison.

Malcolm.

Malcolm, this car was registered at the launch of the TR7 in the UK, ie around 14/05/76 the same date as my own ACG 97, this means the car could be earlier than mine even though it is from the same batch of cars, most of which started life as dealer demonstraters. It looks a bit light for Topaz which was similar to the old BL colour burnt orange. Topaz was used mainly on the 1975 cars ACG 02-35.

The car bra obviously started life in the US as it has cut outs for the front indicator repeaters.

Guest Alan Crome

Ahh mystery solved ! thought that's what it was for (stone chips) but had never seen them on a previous model to the 7 or since (until I saw this one on the VW).

Thanks lads I can sleep soundly now  :;):