Small hole in rocker cover

Hello all,

Just under the breather tube, I've found a tiny hole in the rocker cover. It's a standard painted, steel cover and I don't believe the hole was caused by rust - it looks more like damage from a tool of some sort possibly years ago. A small amount of oil is leaking and being deposited around the lip of the rocker cover which fills and then spills over the end near the bulkhead. It's probably been doing it for years (before I bought the car). I've searched the forum and found a few comments about repairing it (Araldite & tissue paper). Just wondering whether anyone has successfully repaired a hole like this or whether it's best to take the cover off and weld a small plate covering the hole on the inside. I'd rather not replace the cover if I don't need to.

What's wrong with a replacement?

Repair, short of welding it up and making the outside good, by filing and polishing it flat is unlikely to succeed.

As it happens, I have several 'used' ones on the shelf!

None in 'good condition' but all without such holes, and would clean and paint up well..

Free to you for postage and a donation to Help for Heroes!

PM me if you want one, with pic of yours so I can match it as closely as possible! There are variations.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Have repaired a blow hole in an aluminium cover with a solid rivet.

so

Drill the rust hole to accept a 1/8" diameter monel rivet, coat the rivet in epoxy glue and peen in place.

Monel will not rust and if done nicely can be a 'feature'

If you can not get a monel rivet pehaps a stainless steel nut and bolt will do you.- just peen the thread over so the nut can not fall off

Peter W