A little 1H race.

I started from the rear and finished 6th.

I'm struggling with a low power 150HP engine so this video is not looking that fast as usual.

Inspiring watching TR against the Marcos and the Aston Martin

Michael

Yes, Michael,

that was a funny situation. Faster on the corners, slower on the straights.

Clearly your driving skill was better - or does your car handle better

I am keen to try to improve my racing driving skills: what do you do?

As golf players spend time with a professional to improve I think learning from a professional driver would make me a better/faster/safer on the track

Michael

Jon,

1x 30min

1x 60min

races.

I retired on race 1 because of funny oil pressure readings.

On race 2 I made a win or die situation with the low oil pressure. The engine finished the race, so not too bad.

I finished 6th overall and 2nd in class.

Joe Hendo did fastest laptime but visited the gravel traps. But he wasn't the only one.

The first corner looks too inviting but if you approach at 130mph too late on the brakes is too late.

Edited by MadMarx

Jon,

1x 30min

1x 60min

races.

I retired on race 1 because of funny oil pressure readings.

On race 2 I made a win or die situation with the low oil pressure. The engine finished the race, so not too bad.

I finished 6th overall and 2nd in class.

Joe Hendo did fastest laptime but visited the gravel traps. But he wasn't the only one.

The first corner looks too inviting but if you approach at 130mph too late on the brakes is too late.

most I have ever done is 40 mins!!

I'd have been happy with 2x 4in for the money????

Did Paul win?

6th sound goon on a tame engine.

I have my standard brakes all sorted now.

Yes, Paul won, followed by a pretty young lady in an Elan and some other cars.

You will see that with standard brakes you will outperform all on the track.

:D Just putting a different diff in and those brakes for you guys now (oh and twin throttle cables!!). Pity we do not have the cash / weather to race all year!

Getting with-drawl symptoms already....

Those Elan's are fast, race a few in Swing Sixties, some faster, some slower than me. I'd be in one now if it was not for the place my father tried to buy one (25-30 odd years back - Christ I am getting old....), where they could not start the car he liked (on two visits), so went off and bought the 6!

What is the plan with the 4's engine to get it back to or beyond where it was before it went pop?

It is amazing that you have got the results you have with the engine you have got - photos show you have been on a standard crank and you say 88mm pistons

I assume you are on carillo or similar connecting rods, weber 48s and a camshaft that runs out at about 6.5 thousand revs with roller rockers

Do you have light weight short forged pistons and long rods or standard height pistons and standard length rods?

What will go into the new engine?

Michael

Edited by MichaelH

Michael,

the engine is a 87mm bore one with about 10:1 compression (2mm shaved off the head).

The engine has stock rods, standard cast pistons.

984314_884763674892141_51473247925520901

I think I'll use that engine as a spare and build a new from scratch.

Edited by MadMarx

Great results from a pretty low spec (std internals) engine. Maybe skim the head for 11 CR and just pop a set of forged pistons in, to make a nice fall back engine. I had an engine like this for a long time back in the days of the TR Register (90's) when a lot were at the same level - Christ we had some epic paint swapping races..... :);):D

Oult_02.jpg

Or through a lot of cash at getting a killer all steel trick lump.

Did I tell you - as I'm running the Triumph Competition - that racers who are searching for contact on the track to other cars, get a very serious talk with me?

And we have installed a nice punishment system about 3 years back. Helped a lot.

Edited by MadMarx

Did I tell you - as I'm running the Triumph Competition - that racers who are searching for contact on the track to other cars, get a very serious talk with me?

And we have installed a nice punishment system about 3 years back. Helped a lot.

Quite right - it is supposed to be non-contact - just because touring car hooligans do it doesn't make it right - or acceptable! It's going to happen sometimes for sure but should not be regarded as part of the "sport"!!

Never mind a driving error - can happen, but the TC is punishing recklessness.

Captured once, you get an imaginary but announced yellow card. Yellow card means, surveillance for 2 events or in bad cases 3 events.

If there is an another issue within this time then you go home and stay home for the next event without any refund.

It really helps.

Even me got a yellow card after pushing a TR3 into the gravel at Donington 2 years back.

I argued a lot with myself but all argues didn't help, I decided I need a yellow card for causing a collision.

So I drove careful the events after. Would have bothered me to send myself home. :-)

Edited by MadMarx

Relax Chris, I was just harking back to the Fun times in the TR Register in the mid-late 90's when a lot of us did race very hard with very equal cars (before the V8 came in and spoilt it), with the occasional wheel mark down the side, etc. This was a time that has past, it did keep you on you game though! Makes racing as you describe now a lot easier ;)

I think I have had minor contact with someone once in the last 5+ years and like you say sometimes these things just happens, no one wants it.

You gotta love the BTCC though, mine not sure I'd like it if was paying for it!

I agree with Christian, we/I want racing to be a non contact sport, having done some rallying where it is very easy to come into contact with the scenery : it has been a relief to come home without body work damage every time

my next purchase will be one of those wide mirrors which gives me better all round rear view so I can better see the likes of Jelly coming past..again!

Michael

For some part our rules are for saving the cars, but even more for saving the drivers.

We race in old cars. Most of us are non professional drivers and we don't earn our money with racing.

So our interest is that everybody has fun on the weekend and returns home safe and happy to his family.

No need to risk your own or other lives for a 2€ tin cup.

Christian

Very commendable.

Occasional accidents do happen, no matter how careful we are unfortunately, but recklessness should be discouraged.

Dave McD