As a novice when it comes to car maintenance, I'm always on the look out for books on the basics. Sometime ago now, Peter Cobbold put me on to "Technology for Motor Mechanics" as a good starting point. I've bought a few in that series of books and they are helpful, but it's difficult to get the full set.

Last week I discovered the AA Book of the Car (1970 edition) on FleeBay. It arrived today and looks like it offers a good overview of a 1950s/60s car's workings, so it might prove useful. Not for the many knowledgeable people that frequent the forum, but for others that are a bit clueless like me it might be of help.

Funny thing is, I can remember my parents having this book when I was a child.

Darren

Edited by TR5tar

Agreed, it's a jolly useful publication - I've owned mine since 'back in the day', and I still consult it from time to time.

As an explanation of the basics, it's well worth purchasing.

The same can be said for quite a number of 'generalist' car maintenance publications of the 1950s, '60 and '70s . . . . . . aimed at the novice diy owner, these books do not assume that the reader has a reasonable level of knowledge, and as such as are a splendid complement to Haynes and suchlike manuals that assume at least some modest degree of competence, and factory manuals that are written for skilled mechanics, or at least semi-skilled fitters !

Cheers

Alec

Darren, Thanks for the heads up. Copy bought for if/when grandson becomes curious. He no longer buys the concept of lots of mice on treadmills under the bonnet. Peter