Fitting my new Boot rack

My new boot rack (552398SS) from Rimmers arrived today, but with no fitting instructions. I can see how it fits on - new pins for the boot hinges, rubber cups on the boot , & a couple of clamps over the rear edge. But, as far as I can see, I will either have to remove one of the hinges to allow the top "prongs" of the rack to slide onto the threaded part of the new hinge pins, or I must bend one of the prongs enough to get it over the fitted new pin. Any one else fitted one of these recently ?

I don't realy want to take a hinge off unless it's the only way.

Bob.

Well despit the underwhelming response to above, I have fitted it anyway !

Both hinges had to come off, pins drifted out, then all assembled together trying very hard not to drop, or scratch anything.

I found that the bent steel hooks were not realy the right shape to fit over the rear edge of the boot lid, so much time was spent crafting these into just the right bend radius, & angle. got there in the end. I realy think instructions should be supplied with these, as fitting is not that straitforward.

Bob.

Hi Bob, have been looking at rack fixing for a while. My gaps around the boot are too tight for a clamp in any position, however, i have noted many clamp to the side rather than the rear. There are a few posts on here that discuss a clamp based around the boot lock handle rather than the supplied clamp (refer to Menno and a bloke from t'Sheffield (check with ntc?).

I tested with a thin sheet of alu, but found my handle was too tight to close and the key would not lock?

Thus the 3a is for sale complete with boot bag, which performed faultlessly at both SilvClassic and IWE

Revi do stronger hinges/pins.

The pins supplied are very strong, if a bit small in diameter. My worry is that the hinges will suffer in time. we will see.

I did not have much space behind my boot lid for the clamp, which is why I reshaped it to follow the exact contours of the boot edge.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Just noticed that the TR shop are currently doing the same SS rack on offer !

and as I was in the shop on Wednesday, I could have saved £46 in all.

Miffed of Leatherhead.

Don.

It would have been easier with an extra pair of hands ! but I managed.

As mentioned above the special pins supplied with the rack are thinner than the original, idealy they would be slightly thicker such that they are a tight fit in the centre section (boot lid side), and then one would drill out the outer holes to give a good sliding fit, as this becomes the bearing surface.

If I can be bothered I may experiment with that idea by turning up a new SS pin.

Probably worrying over nothing !

Bob.