More Help Please - Timing Cover and Engine plate bolts

I'm having trouble finding out from all the myriad pictures, diagrams and so on on the WWW what are the correct bolts, or screws that attach the timing cover through the engine plate.

I have in my box labelled "engine" 9 small studs UNC 5/16 one end and UNF 5/16 the other end. They are 1 & ¼ inches long. I seem to have a couple too many of these.

Are the studs the ones to use with the correct nut and spring washer or should it be the correct length bolt?

Where do the left over studs go?

It's a latish TR2 engine no. TS7364E.

Many thanks in advance

Jim

According to the parts book

7 x Screw, set , cover to cyl block

4 x Screw,set, cover to engine plate.

2 x Screw,set, cover to engine plate.

5 x nut on set screw

Wahsers x 12 Spring, on setscrews.

Hope this helps

Iain

Items 2 and 3 on this diagram:-

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/engine/engines-components/internal-engine-components.html

The double-ended studs you have are probably mostly for the manifolds, though there is one in the centre of the timing cover.

Rob

Thanks Iain.

And just to clarify the studs I'm describing would never be called set screws. Is that correct?

Yes Rob it's that diagram that made me question thinking the studs were correct. The manifold studs are bigger than these 5/16 th ones. Still wondering what these are for.

Cheers

Jim

Jim - a set-screw is a headed fastener similar to a bolt and is threaded all the way to the head. (A bolt is threaded only part of the way up and has a plain section below the head). Your double-threaded studs would never be described as set-screws.

Rob

Nice description Rob.

What you have Jim is studs with UNC thread one end and UNF the other

3 of these studs are probably for the oil pump attachement

2 for the fuel pump

the other 5 I guess are from the rear engine bell housing flange?

Please double check this and I await to be corrected!

Iain

Dave not sure about the timing chain cover.....just reassembling my engine and not one there! Nots saying its right thought:-)

Iain

Iain,

I checked nine engines and all have the stud for the timing cover. However, its location is the second hole counter clockwise (anti clockwise?) from the dowel pin. Just a guess but that hole may be a through hole and the stud would be a better seal.

Dave

If you look in the Moss parts book there is a map of the location and sizes of the cover fittings.

Stuart.