To pad or not to pad, that is the question

Last bit of capping for me is the doors. I have read all of the posts on the entire WWW so I know the basic procedure but my question is whether to add some padding on top of the foam/rubber and if padding is used should the vinyl be glued to it or just glue the vinyl to the metal ? I can imagine that if thin foam or thin padding is used trying to glue it to the rubber or trying to glue the vinyl to the pad will quickly make a mess.

Stan

Original was a rubber sausage stuck into the channel of the base then a layer of a cotton wadding type which was just layed over the rubber then the vinyl/leather cover is stuck only to the metal at the sides and stretched over the wadding and then glued to the other side with the waste edges turned under and glued.Each end was trimmed so the material went into the end cups just enough so when the buttons are pressed in there is no backing seen.

Stuart.