I've fitted an SU electric petrol pump to my 3A. On advice, I've purchased an inertia cut off switch

but have yet to fit it. I've been told that these switches are liable to cut off the fuel pump if the TR

hits a pothole in the road so I'm rather wary of fitting it. :(

Any advice please.

Tom. :mellow:

Two points, Tom.

1/ If this is the type fitted by Peugeot, Renault, Rover, Ford, Uncle Tom Car Producers 'n all, there are two types, with two and three wires. The three wire version will set off a warning light if the thing trips. You may not know that right away with a carburettor as the car will go on running on what is in the bowl.

2/ They are resettable by pressing the button in the top, so mount it somewhere easier to get at than under the bonnet.

I have one, it did trip when I run the kerbs at Snetterton.

JOhn

As an ex Fireman Tom you'll recognise this sound WWWWhhhummpppFFfff not want to hear after an accident and with 8 gallons still in the tank and the ignition switch out of reach.

Mick Richards

I have an inertia cut off switch in my 1960 Land Rover (electric fue pump). I got it out of a Mustang in a breaking yard and wired it in. I have taken the Land Rover places where no TR would ever tread without setting the thing off. Since the Land Rover's 3 fuel tanks holds 42 US gallons when full I thought the cut off switch to be a good safety item.

If you put one in and it trips on you whilst driving you can always head to a breaking yard and get one from a different vehicle.

Did the person who told you it would trip have a vehicle with one installed?

Teriann,

"If you put one in and it trips on you whilst driving you can always head to a breaking yard and get one from a different vehicle."

Why? The one I referred to has a reset button. Don't they have those on Mustangs?

John

Teriann,

"If you put one in and it trips on you whilst driving you can always head to a breaking yard and get one from a different vehicle."

Why? The one I referred to has a reset button. Don't they have those on Mustangs?

John

Yes, they do. I was thinking if he had one that tripped during normal driving that he should try a different one that hopefully would not trip during normal driving in a TR.