Body off or Body on?

This is not new nor I am sure will it be the last word! All my research to date tells me that there is divided opinion as to repair/renew body work on the chassis or off. I can understand say sills being repaired /renewed on the chassis but there are some parts of the body that cannot be reached properly while the body is on the chassis. And of course the tub was assembled prior to fitting to the chassis in the factory.

People, I would be pleased to read your own experiences as the literature etc. does not bring out the many subtleties of why certain repairs should be done before or after removal of the body.

Thanks in anticipation!!

I think the idea is that the frame is the best jig for building the tub if the tub needs major repairs that would allow the structure to move in a major way. For example inner sill replacement on a sidescreen car or floor or B post replacement etc. Do that with the tub on the frame and once the tub is structurally sound lift it off the frame, suitably braced, so you can then attend to the repairs that are easier to do with the tub clear of the frame and/or inverted.

Stan

Edited by foster461

I think the opinion is the same for most of us. It's more a question how much space you have available and what the aim is.

With a large garage and a lot of time the best would be to remove the body, you will probably find quite a lot more to do on the chassis too, parts that can't be reached as long as the body is on the car.

Removing the body will require some serious bracing in all directions to prevent deformation. All loose body items will have to be removed in order to lift it from the chassis.

Floor panels can best be replaced with body on as welding might distort the whole frame.

If you are not familiar with a restoration you will have to take advise from a pro, as there are many open questions to, what is the condition of the car overall and how far you wish to proceed,

I suspect you need to provide some info on the prospective cars condition. When I removed my body to get some repairs done I found the chassis had been repaired with the body on, it was shot and dangerous. If you're planning on a decent restored and paint the body off, its not difficult, I'm no mechanic but me and a mate got it off in a weekend. Sorting the brakes suspension etc much easier with no body and although I ended up doing more than p?annex it was worth the extra effort.