Flexible fuel hose

HI!

If you are still using the original hose(s) the answer is certainly not! What makes this dangerous is that the material disintegrates from the inside out often bits of rubber compound will stick the poppet valve(s) on the injectors. When the filter OE Lucas gauzes have been removed from the injectors on re-con injectors. There is also a problem with hoses that were replaced in the 1990's with the introduction of unleaded fuel. What was OK in the !990's for unleaded will not be OK for 2010 fuel onwards, as the formulae has changed, some what. The fuel on sale today is much more aggressive on those rubber compounds.

At present I do not know what is the recommended spec. for rubber type hoses but I have noticed that Southern Carb. advertise low pressure fuel hose(s) that are resistant to todays fuels. The Goodyear Hose web site would be a good starter for the spec and hose type for high pressure!

Some people are already using PTFE -S/S Braided Hose which will be resistant to modern fuels, as used in the Aerospace Industry. If you go down this route do not use smooth bore PTFE, only use convoluted type ( this is the flexible type, rated at 200psi max). This is because you may induce the dreaded harmonic fuel pump/release valve noise.

Bruce.

Nick--------Thanks for the spec number!

JJC-------- Upon checking that spec. I would only use the R9 type as it is the current spec for cars being manufactured today and is designed for 10% Ethanol. Also beware of old stock?? It might be better to go to your local hose assembler than going to a TR parts supplier.

Bruce

Yep, that Locost thread is the one that educated me after issues with "fuel stink" when I EFI'd my PI. Fuel was permeating through the hoses (new, proper Gates branded injection hose but without SAE markings). Replacing it all with R9 hose cured the problem.

I did take it up with my local motor factor who'd supplied the original hose, but they weren't very interested.

Nick