Turning the crank

If like me you have removed the fan from the front of the engine you struggle to turn the engine over to set the tappets. I have just bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191361232902?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

under a tenner including shipping. Looks like a good deal to me.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

for safety sake using a socket and ratchet is my choice.

On more than one occasion (on my 4A) I have left the ratchet in place when starting the engine - the ratchet wiring away against its little springy thing.

Tie a length of string to the spanner and hang it over the wing to attract your attention.

Roger

aaarrrggghh - cjuck keys and lathes.

My apprentice instructor would whip them out of the chuck and smash them into the drip tray under the bed with an almighty clatter if he ever found one in the chuck.

I never forgot that.

Roger

We had a guy in the apprentice class behind mine who left a micrometer clamped on a work piece, needless to say it became useless even as a G clamp once he started is lathe up lol, happy days :lol:

Edited by PJM

Had an instructor when I was a 1st year apprentice (1968) who did the throwing the chuck key into the lathe tray thing. . . when your back was turned, scared the living s**t out of me the 1st time he did it

Never seen a mic left on the workpiece, bet he was popular!

I did, once, use some parallels under a workpiece in the vice on a horizontal mill, where the parallels were approx 4 thou wider than the workpiece, which took flight with an almighty bang. Lucky no one was hurt. (1968 again!)

You learn quick don't you

John