HS4's on a Low port TR2

Has any body considered, or even actually fitted a pair of HS4's to a low port engine?

A friend has a rebuilt engine ready to go into his car, but carbs (H4) are pretty knackered.

I have had good experience with HS6's on my car, & much prefer them, so wondering about this path for the low port job.

Bob.

Yes.

DIY - An adaptor plate for the HS4 to fit the orig inlet is the only real challenge, Not hard just a metal plate fitted to the manifold with countersunk screws. It is then drilled to accept the carbs which have diagonal rather than vertical mount studs.

Plus of course making the choke long enough by rerouting and fiddling the throttle linkage, which needs thought too. I went to cable. I considered approaching it like the TR4A system using a plate dangling beneath the carbs that the bell crank pivots on and a shorter horizontal rod.

Fuel lines are required too as you will have orig solid banjo arrangement. Simple lengths of fuel proof hosing and a solid bridge pipe.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks Peter, I was not aware that the mountings were different. Any chance of some photo's ?

I stayed with rod linkage on my HS6's, using the TR4A plate, shortened rods, & original bellcrank.

Choke cable re-routed to go through the bulkhead higher up, then looping down to the rear carb.

Bob.

Bob I do not have the kit anymore it was sold to a German in the 1980's at the Essen Classic show.

I do have a HS4 and its equiv HIF from the MGB series - both 1 1/2"

Attached are some photos.

What I have spotted is that the HS4 will fit directly to a 1 3/4" manifold from TR3-4A as the gasket spacing is the same.

Why did I not find this in 1975 instead of titting about with adaptor plates.

Ho Hum

Yes, but will a 1 3/4" tr3 manifold fit a low port head ?

Thanks for info above.

Bob.

A 302006 manifold will fit low port and take 1 3/4"

Stuart.

Bob,

It's on page 48 of the Moss catalogue as Stuart says, it is a mine of useful information.

That's what we intended when we wrote it.

That page took ages to put together as I had to find samples of all the manifolds in the 'sh*t shop' at Cox & Buckles workshop so our graphic artist Peter Taylor could be sure they were drawn correctly.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The High port manifold will fit the low port head but the ears of the inlet manifold cover the upper stud holes in 4 posn.

Attack with saw and file I would guess unless you can find a TR3 low port inlet 302006

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Peter,

People tend to take these things for granted and often fail to appreciate how much work goes into production of what is effectively a reference book and can be used as one.T
hanks for your original efforts.

FWIW use the Moss book a first point of reference as you can use it to describe far better what you are referring to.

Rgds

Rod