Rear suspension bottoming out

Hi All,

The rear suspension on my TR6 has started to bottom out. It seems like this has come on suddenly.

Is it a shocks or spring issue? I have slightly uprated rear springs with Koni Classic telescopic shocks.

The previous shocks (Spax) lasted quite a few years and miles. When they became worn I replaced them with the Koni Classics. This seemed to be an improvement - for about 500 miles, and then the bottoming out began.

I have tried new springs but there is no noticeable improvement. I've also tried adjusting the firmness of the shocks, again with no noticeable improvement.

Are the Koni Classic shocks the wonder shocks that everyone talks about, or is there another type made by Koni? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?!

Cheers,

Paul

Difficult to diagnose remotely. Uprated springs: rate or ride height or both? You need to know if the shocker is going solid before the bumpstop engages.

If it were mine, I'd fit PU spring shims, say 10mm, and see if that works.

Until you sort it, go very carefully - no hard cornering. When the rear goes solid all the cornering force transfers to that tyre and the car can spin out very quickly indeed. With no warning. Beware!

Peter

That will be the Koni classics Im afraid they dont seem to last, yours arent the only ones I know of to have gone bad after not a lot of miles.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Thanks for your comment - I had worked through the options and the only thing left was the shock absorbers. Which is a surprise given the hallowed reputation of Koni.

I will put on a new set of Spax this weekend and report back. I'm also sending the shocks back to Koni to see what they have to say.

Peter, thanks for for observation about going slowly in the mean time - sage advice indeed.

Paul

Peter, thanks for for observation about going slowly in the mean time - sage advice indeed.

Paul

Hi Paul, Been there/done that, but got away with it..... three times. Peter