It's a long way from here too (2 1/2 hour drive each way) but worth it I recon.  I've never been to a drag-strip meeting before so Elvington was quite an experience.  Not been to one either?  You really should.

The only dissappointment was that out of 3 invited clubs (TRR, TR Drivers and Club Triumph) there was a total of 5 TRs, amongst a sea of Subarus, Evos and such.  There were 4 TR7V8s (Neil's Dave Bullman/CCC rally replica, my V8 track car, a Grinnall 3.9V8 2+2 and another 3.5V8 drop-head) and Ronnie Clayton's sprint/hillclimb TR4a.

The set-up was like an open pit-lane trackday, in that you could do as many runs as you wanted.  Just a bit of a wait at the busiest times.  When not driving you can take the opportunity to chat, boast about/make excuses for your times, repair your car or just spectate.

I'm rather proud to say I was the fastest TR7 on the day, and very nearly the fastest TR (Ronnie was quicker than me by less than 1/2 second!!) with a quarter mile time of 14.82 secs and terminal speed of 96mph.

A fun day out, and a bit of a laugh as expected.  I still don't really get drag racing as a sport though  :;):

Malcolm.

No Clive, that's Neil Sawyer.  In that picture my car is at the back.  Funny story behind that one though.  Neil is removing the bracket that holds up his headlights (motors already removed to save weight) to cut drag and try to catch my quarter times  :P

Malcolm.

Sorryb Malcolm, would love to have been there (it's only 40 minutes down the A64 for me, been to the air museum several times), but it clashed with the North Yorkshire Triumph Weekend at Runswick Bay organised by Dave Ferguson and the other worthies at the Cleveland goup - there were millions of triumphs there!

O.K., a slight exaggeration, but 40-odd Triumphs at least. And a 50's Ford Pop. And a Daimler Dart. Oh, and two R-R Merlin aero engines mounted on trailers - you should have heard them puppies revving! I reckon they would have turned sub-ten second quarters on their trailers, no probs!

Mike

Guest Carlos The Jackal

Hey Malcolm. Couldn't make the TR meet that Neil organised - which was a shame as it was he I'd bought my TR from! I've dragged my TR a half-dozen times, all at Melbourne, York (bizarrely another strip two miles down the road from Elvington). The best time I posted with the 3.5 engine the car came with (similar spec to yours - a genuine 160 bhp at the wheels) was 14.3 at 95mph.

With the current engine - a 4.6 in a comparatively milder state of tune - I've posted a 13.4 with a terminal speed of 102mph. There's more to come ... the Red Top Competition pump was running out of puff!

Reducing your time by "only" 0.9 of a second takes a lot of practice/money/power - delete as appropriate!

Melbourne site is here, in case you fancy trying to knock off another tenth! http://www.york-raceway.co.uk/homepage.html

Carlos