tr4

Guest tuffty

Guest tuffty
Hi everyone i recently bought a water pump from a well known supplier with pully & keyway i've done about 170 miles and the pulley started clattering i stopped & found the pully just going round ,managed to get it back on with lots of help from the lads in local tr group & limped home.On inspection it looks as if the wrong size keyway was supplied making the centre hole on the pully larger than standerd now,also with all this movement going on it started leaking water.Sent the pump back to supplier with a letter explaining what had happened 2 weeks later still no word of the pump so i ring them ,it turns out its my fault its leaking water and for fitting the wrong keyway that they supplied,but they will sell me another pump and let me have it at cost which i thought was very good of them.[NOT] So i just thought i would put a little letter on the forum & get it of my chest i feel a lot better now.Have any other members had this problem with pumps & wrong size keyways supplied .oh he does tell me that it's a new pump & not recon ,strange is'nt it how a new pump gets rust under new black paint. :angry:  :angry:
These replacement pumps are really big rubbish. Not only MOSS are selling them. If you go through this forum, you will find all kind of trouble, the keyway being too wide is just another fault. I thought the uprated pumps of MOSS would be better than standard (in one year I bought 3 or 4 new standard pumps and encountered leaking, damaged bearings,2 times loose impeller...) : when the first u/r pump arrived, I found nothing wrong with them before fitting. When I put the pulley on it and fitted the nut, the impeller was touching the pump body! I send it back, with a 'Retail Return' sticker on it, to the MOSS outlet who had sold it to me (London): after 2 weeks of no reaction, I called them : the packet had not arrived, they said. I bought a second new u/r pump and paid for it, from MOSS London again : same problem : this time I fitted the nut very carefully, with loctite on it and stopped when the impeller started touching the housing again and then I've loosened the nut half a turn. I've gave up complaining against MOSS. I think the best solution is bringing an original pump, with grease nipple, to a machine shop who can fit new bearings and sealing,(finding a suitable sealing is a problem). I don't understand why MOSS is so slow on reacting  against the manufacturer of these pumps and blame the customer instead. Shame on MOSS!!!!!!!!

Hi

You may want to contact Tony Lindsay Dean at Kingston Sportscars  -  he is doing a reconditioned original water pump and these are excellent.

Ive use nothing but original pumps on my engines and so far have had 15 years trouble free. As soon as I touch something repro. it seems to be poor quality, expensive and comes without any REAL guarantee of fitness for purpose and alsomost bound to fail in service. So I don't.

If you agree don't buy this poor quality rubbish, vote with your feet and wallets and encourage these fine suppliers to purchase better (and consequently probably more expensive) products for us all to use in these great cars.

Regards

Tony

I bought a quintin hazell pump for my 6 from a motor factor.The old pump had a noisy bearing and a bright metal pulley boss - but the new one was a casting ie had not been turned on a lathe. When I filled the rad up the new pump started leaking past the bearing so I took it back. It was replaced with an identical pump but this one had a turned pulley boss and did not leak (so far!!). I understand they are manufactured in India so I guess the QC is not too good. :(
Guest tuffty
thanks guys i'm glad im not the only one thats had problems with recon or new pumps,thanks tony i will get in touch with tony lindsay i have heard that the original pumps are the best way round the problem.happy tr ing guys.:)

During the body-off restoration of my TR3A between 1987 - 1990, one of the items I needed to replace was the water pump.  I bought most of what I needed from Cox & Buckles when they were still on Manor Road and had it all shipped to Canada.

I noticed that the water pump did not have a grease fitting.  This is a no-no for the concours judges.  Also I noticed that the impeller was smaller and made of cast iron.  The original one was brass.  A smaller impeller won't pump as much water which could be a cause of overheating.

My neighbour with a lathe offered to fix it all for me.  He made a stainless steel shaft and used the brass impeller.  He also fitted a working grease fitting.  It has worked fine without any leaking or pulley problems during the last 15 summers (82,000 miles).

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1959 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

According to what I have seen the major problem of the remade waterpumps is the water seal inside what is of an inferior layout and quality, this makes that they only last until the impeller pump starts turning.

On the original pump the seal-ring was mounted to the shaft with a spring loaded ring running in tight contact with the pump body.

On remake pumps the water seal is pressed into the housing

and seals off against the impeller. The smallest misalignement of the impeller with the seal ring will cause leaks.

It seems that Bastuck in Germany is now selling a kind of uprated pumps, again with grease nippel, unfortunately I don't know what kind of seal is fitted.

Jean