Hi Alan,

Glad to see you back safely.

In my opinion, I woudn't use an additive. Just run the engine until the valve seats need doing, which may never happen.

Too many people have complained of headaches etc after using additives!

Cheers

Graeme

I'm with Graeme. I rebuilt my engine in 2012 after running it on unleaded for ten years (with 10% toluene, but I've since understood the error of my ways OHS-wise). No sign of valve seat recession. None. Nada. I admit I then had the exhaust valves replaced with hardened seats (minimal extra cost on top of other machining, ec., etc.), so the 20k miles (I know, pathetic) since then don't count, but none then either. If you're using your TR as a daily driver and rely on it as your work vehicle (more power to your elbow) then you may want to insure against the unproven (IMHO) problem of VSR. If not, your great-great grandchildren may need to deal with your wanton irresponsibility!

Drive it. Don't worry about it. It's from the age of Great British Over Engineering :)

Cheers,

John

As I novice about fuel additives, I tried to do a lot of research on the subject (much of which went over my head) before buying my TR, especially as the seller couldn't say conclusively whether or not the value seats had been hardened. Apart from that, on the TR5 PI I understood it that it should run on about 101-102 RON, so I went looking for an additive that increased RON, prevents value seat recession and gave protection against ethanol. Like Bill (above) I found Millers VSPE Power Plus. I fill up using Shell V-Max 99 RON. I've not experienced any problems with it yet.

DC

Edited by TR5tar

Checkout Revington's information sheet IS0021 - TR's & Unleaded Petrol.

Some very interesting points raised by Neil Revington back in 1998. I wonder if they still apply.

For what it's worth I run unleaded heads and don't use Steroids/Additives, just premium grade fuel.

Cheer's, H.

I've run my TR5 on standard supermarket unleaded with Millers VSP now VSPe for 15 or 16 years. I x 250 ml bottle to 40 litres of fuel.

Had no problems at all. Never had head off in that period so can't comment on appearance of the valves and seats.

Spark plugs take on a copper type colour when using it.

I've always used single bottles of VSPe, hadn't seen the multi shot bottle mentioned by Bill Bourne above. I've tried my local Motor Spares shop this morning and they weren't aware of it either. Must be a relatively new product. It doesn't even feature on Millers website.

At approx. £6.00 for a single dose bottle for 40 litres the cost per litre of petrol treated is considerably more expensive that the multi shot bottle for 500 litres, by a factor of 3.

I also race a TR6 with unleaded head and very high compression ratio. I run that on Shell V Power petrol with Millers CVL additive, 1 bottle to 20 litres of petrol. At approx. £7.50 per bottle that's expensive but the race car doesn't do a lot of mileage.

I have had that head off several times but there has never been any problem with the valves or their seats.

Dave McD