Hi,

Think this has had an airing in the past. My early 1990's repro bonnet safety catch on my TR5 looks as though it's on it's last legs ( the riveted pin looks as though it's going to pull through the bracket). Does anyone know if there's a quality replacement?

Alternatively, does it actually serve any critical purpose, could it just be removed without serious issue?

Anyone had a front hinging bonnet fly open?

As always, all contributions gratefully received

Peter

Hi Peter,

I believe one of the main reasons for the catch is to stop the bonnet flying backwards into the screen if you have a front end prang.

If the catch holds then the bonnet will bend in the middle and stop there.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I've wondered about this. I don't think the catch would offer much of a safeguard. It just looks too flimsy.

Then I suggest you look back through some of the pictures that have been on here of front end pranged cars including Andrew P`s one. You can clearly see that it does do its job.

The repro pins often come out as they arent peened over properly, best thing to do is drill and tap them so a machine screw can be used to secure the pin to the bracket. Also a triangular fillet helps to stop the bracket bending. (The newer repros already have the fillet.).

Stuart.

Having seen Andrew's car close up, I have to agree with Stuart. It wouldn't take much for that bonnet to come through the windscreen without a safety catch....decapitation anyone?.

Cheers

Tony