Hi All

its been a while since i have been on here so here i go

my temperature gauge runs a little high between middle and 3/4

i have a electric fan fitted

it used to be ok (in the middle) until i fitted a new fan at the front of the rad,

now the engine is new with a new water pump and sender and fitted the fan back to the rear of the rad and still the gauge runs the same

its a bit nervy looking at it and goes between 3/4 and high before the fan kicks in then comes back but doesnt seem to overheat or anything

so is there a resistor or something fitted in this wiring that maybe i need to change or the gauge itself as these would be the only things i havent changes

cheers

David

Had a similar issue. Changed the new sender for am old one, problem solved. It had a black tip so should have been ok, tested gauge by earthing sender lead, didn't appear to be overheating so a suggestion from here was change sender.

THe sender is new and i had the same issue when i changed the fan

now changed the engine etc etc and new rad and still it reads high

is there something i am missing

is there a reading i can take to the gauge to prove things are reading correct etc

david

David, That was me starting the post, as I said it was the sender. I had a infra red temp gauge so. coud read the temp of the rad and head, both about 85 so gauge should be in center.

Sensors, especially new ones are most variable. You need to calibrate it against measaured temperatures, whoch can be down by taking the sensor and adding extension wires, so thta you can dunk it in a pan of water ona camping stove. heat from room to boiling temperature and record the guage readings against the thermometer or pyrometer readings. The extrapolate beyond 100C as the enhgine will run at up to 120 under pressure.

Then you KNOW what the guage menas, insteda of the vague indictaions the Triumph provided.

(Up to a point - modern sensors can go off quite quickly)

John

i will start the easy way before utilising hi tech gadgets

i will see if the sender is black

i will also ask moss what other senders they supply

i can just try them all till i get it right ????

just checked Moss catalogue

one sender does all GTR108

three thermostats

std GTR104 82 deg C

GTR102 high climate 72 deg C

GTR 106 cold climate 88 deg

i think i did change the thermostat at the same time as i did the fan

maybe i should put my old themostat back in as it might have been asummer one ???

cheers

david

Edited by dblenk