Front Stub axles and Hubs Upgrade

Thanks guys.

The drums were the ones on the car already, they have racetorations 'fins' on them and look new because I painted them :-)

I'll check whether the shoe is in the slot this afternoon.....

Steve

Thanks Alan and Stuart.

After a few test runs the problem has resolved itself.

I suspect the combo of replacement back plates, new shoes, adjusters etc etc needed to ' sort itself out'

In any case the drums both spin freely now.

Long test drive today went well, and revealed that I hadn't fully tightened the rear anti roll bar with a strange noise on pilling away.

Everything else check and suitably tight.

I'm just doubting the integrity of the 5/16 unf studs, maybe I should replace them with combo unc/unf to be on the safe side?

They all came off easily and tightened up but a couple seem to be sticking out a little more than the others, so I wonder if previously they've been troublesome.

I am thinking that tapping in new unc studs would be very simple, and some stud lock would make them nice and secure for track days?

Steve

This has just been covered, check out Helicoil feedback in Technical.

Mick Richards

Hi Steve,

there should be quite a few posts on the 6 studs.

'IF' the original ones strip out then people usually put in Helicoils. The 5/16 UNF would work OK as the Helicoil is stronger than the Ali thread. Also where the Helicoil sits in the hole it bites in better than the stud thread so shouldn't pull out.

There was a question the other day about putting in 3/8 UNC/5/16unf studs but this makes you move further away from original and harder to recover when the next failure occurs.

As you have already successfully nipped up your nuts :o I would clean out the bottom of the threads with a scriber etc to remove any crud,

then run a plug tap (3rd) down the hole to make sure the thread is at full depth. Pop the studs back in with some stud lock.

If these eventually pull out then you can resort to the other methods as you will have plenty of metal to play with.

Roger