TR6 Gear Lever Spring & Plunger

Good afternoon everyone,

Prior to the re-installation of my TR6 gearbox I have a question regarding the installation of the gear lever plunger and spring. As I am sure you are all aware the plunger and spring sit in a blind hole at the base of the gear lever and are held in place once the lever is inserted into the selector housing.

My question is how on earth are you supposed to install the spring and plunger as I'm currently finding it a little challenging. The Brown Bible states to add plenty of grease to hold it in place. This may hold the spring in but certainly not the plunger.

I was wondering if fellow members may have a trick or some wise words to offer before I give up hope.

Thank you for reading the post.

Best Regards, Peter

Good afternoon everyone,Prior to the re-installation of my TR6 gearbox I have a question regarding the installation of the gear lever plunger and spring. As I am sure you are all aware the plunger and spring sit in a blind hole at the base of the gear lever and are held in place once the lever is inserted into the selector housing.My question is how on earth are you supposed to install the spring and plunger as I'm currently finding it a little challenging. The Brown Bible states to add plenty of grease to hold it in place. This may hold the spring in but certainly not the plunger.I was wondering if fellow members may have a trick or some wise words to offer before I give up hope.Thank you for reading the post.Best Regards, Peter

Peter see my PM,

I use a small cable tie to hold plunger and spring in place, fit gearstick, sometimes a hard knock down on stick will break the tie, or cut it and retrieve from underneath. Long time since I have had to do one,but thats how I recall it.

Cheers

Guy

Peter

Some replacement springs are oversize and you will never get them to fit. (Guess how I found out) Check the spring & plunger in the stick before trying anything else.

Tim

Line the spring and the pin up with the hole in the stick and then compress in a vice, (Make sure you have it lined up correctly or you will be hunting the farthest darkest corners of the garage for them!) this will tell you if the spring is too long and gets coil bound before the pin goes in flush, I have found a lot of the repro springs need one coil cutting off to get them to fit. The trick of using a cable tie to pull the pin and spring in so you can locate in the selectors works fine.

Stuart.