Andy

There are no dumb questions, just stupid replies.

From the age of the car I would suggest metric but just to be on the safe side, I would check up with a recoqnised supplier. At the same time see if you can screw in by hand, metric bolts.

Peter, sorry but 99% sure they are UNC, the engine was a USA one remember and most engine bolts are unified. My engine is 1990 and even the core bolts & studs are Unified, however ancilaries are metric, like alternator bolts!

Jim

I stand corrected. I thought the 7 was sold in Europe a long time after the British motor industry in the 60s had committed itself to going metric. Sorry.

Peter, my apologies, just reread thread. I was talking Rover V8 and not 2Litre. I suspect the 4 pot might be Metric if I get a minute I'll check the manual tonight.

Hangs head in shame for not reading thread in detail    :(

Jim

Yup, checked last nght, amazed to find 99% of the 4 pot is UNf or C, although it was designed around 72-3 from memory.

Andy, its worth getting the BL Manual because it has a list of bolt, threads & torque settings at the front

Jim

As a general rule of thumb I'll think you'll find that the engine on the 7 is imperial (UNC/UNF) as it is from the earlier Dolomite, but the body fittings are metric because the design is later.  So you do need both sets of spanners!

No doubt someone out there will prove me wrong.

Ian