wiper motor park has stopped working

Hello all

While out in the rain the other day the self park stopped working on the 2 speed dr3a wiper motor.As I intend to use the car up until about mid Jan 2014 I don't won't to take the motor apart yet to investigate.I have checked the earth from the motor & all looks good. I am thinking its a problem with the little brass park arm. Any ideas?

Also can you still buy the brass park connector arm & if so where from?

Thanks Steve.

Edited by steve w

It's a bit difficult to say what the cause may be if you don't want to take it apart, probably the brass wiper thing, or bad connection on the top, daft to get parts before knowing the cause, it's only a ten minute job.

Steve

PS. I know......some full restorations have started out as ten minute jobs :lol:

Hi SteveW,

you say you have checked the 'earth' connection - however there are two earths.

One goes through the two position switch.

The other , when the switch is in the off position, the parking earth goes through the red wire coming out of the top of the motor.

If these are OK then you will need to lift the top off - 5 minute job (not including the respray).

You may see that the track has worn through or things are in pieces. You can make a relacement track using single sided PCB and a bit of etching.

Roger

Update

Hi guys thanks for your inputs. I have this morning taken out the motor cleaned up the the brass bits double checked both the earth connections on the switch & from the motor. (have not taken the armature cover off to check the earth connection in the motor but it seems tight).

But still not parking the wipers!

Whats the next step?

Hi Steve,

the self park works by having the body of the wiper motor earthed through the brass wiper arm - copper track - wire that comes out of the centre of the plate and then earth on the body.

Is the earth on the car body where the wire would normally fit a very good earth?

Have you done a continuity check between the copper track and earth.

Is the brass arm earthed (good mechanical contact) to the internals.

Roger

It would be quite easy for a poor contact to develop between the outside where the wire is soldered on and the brass disc inside.

I regularly re-rivet these when the resistance measures too high for my liking.

You could of course just have a break inside the red wire.

Just get a length of wire. Connect one end to the chassis. Turn on the ignition but dont switch on the wiper.

Touch the wire on the contact on the cap. Motor should run. Tell us all what happens.

Edited by AlanT

OK so the parking contact is not connecting the red-wire to chassis.

Since the motor sits on rubber bushes there need to be a wire, usually black from the motor case to the chassis.

Take the cap off and connect the wire to the brass disc. The motors run fine with no cap fiited.