Hi guys - I've renewed the fuel line from my tank to the fuel pump. Having a battle getting the fuel line to seal properly at base of the tank.

Any suggestions here? I've considered welding or brazing in the line permanently, just leaving a short stub of pipe from the base of tank that I can attach a fuel hose to. Have replaced the olive on the line, and tightened the nut up tight, but it still leaks. Anyone got any clever ideas?

cheers

Pete

Hi Pete

Do you have a new tank or is it the old one. I had the same problem where the fuel seemed to be leaking from the outlet pipe and could not get the nut any tighter. Turned out to be a leak at the bottom of the tank and fuel was seeping along the boot floor and dripping down the pipe, even though I had treated the inside of the tank with a tank sealant. Blistered the new paint under the tank (damn).

Had to get a new tank made. No one wanted to mend a used tank. Now no issues at all.

Regards

Brian

Edited by brian-nz

Thanks Brian - I had a new base section welded into my old tank, and pressure tested - so 99% sure it's coming from the pipe connection.

Really frustrating, as I have everything else ready to go, but can't make the maiden voyage until fuel issue is sorted.

cheers

Pete

Problem solved....I disconnected the line and got a ring spanner onto the nut and torqued it up fairly solidly. I think all that was wrong was I hadn't got it tight enough for the olive to seal properly! It's now dry as a bone, and I feel slightly foolish having posted this question in the first place.... Aiming to fire her up for the first time in over 15 years this weekend, and will post photos once she's done. A few minor jobs to do before it gets compliancing certification, and then we'll be motoring. I can feel a silly grin coming on already just at the thought of it.

cheers

Pete

If the tank outlet sealing chamfer is scratched or otherwise damaged, the olive will never seal properly.

Probably best to safely bronze in a stubby pipe for a length of fuel hose. That's what I did in the same circumstances. It should poke up into the tank about 10mm to prevent any future rubbish causing a blockage

Regards,

Viv

PS Great to see the problem is solved.

Edited by vivdownunder

Had a similar problem a few years ago, with a leak at that junction.

I annealed that olive using a butane blowtorch and reassembled the union, using belt and braces strategy of PTFE tape around the threads. It's been OK since.

It's also a good idea to section-in a short run of flexi-tube into the steel fuel pipe - for example near where it passes the rear axle. That way it's easier to decant fuel from the tank, should you need to.

Hth for future seekers.

Tim.