My first TR which was a private import 1961 3A.It had a rearview mirror which was more like an open bracket style which left about 20% of the mirror glass unsupported, it did not frame around the glass.

My current 1958 3A has,(like most I've seen) what I assume to be a reproduction part whereby the mirror is completly framed in.

I've tried looking at old period photo's but the detail is not clear, what is the correct mirror style? From what I could make out there seemed to be both style mirrors fitted.

Mychael

Hi Mychael

This is TRK's standard/original rear view mirror, I've cropped the photo so quality may not be too good, but it shows the type fitted as standard to your 58 3A.

The fully encased repro you have is wrong for the year; post TS60001 had this type fitted.

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

That looks like it exactly.

Interestingly though,my first TR was commision number TS80906 so by rights should not have had that style mirror, but it did.

I'd always considered that car to be original.. Weird huh??

Mychael

Please note:

Reproduction mirrors have to meet up with more modern safety standards, hence they usually have radiused corners and a rubber surround.

So you will need to search for an original at an autojumble and live with the consequences of your head hitting it if you are unlucky, or accept the later replacements which might be a bit more tollerent to being head butted...

of course, if you have not fitted seat belts you are more likely to be in the footwell or over the top of the windscreen than head butting the mirror!  

The weather strip (steel) fixed between the windscreen surround and the stantion is also pretty knife like if you happen to try and rugby tackle it!

True, I do have seatbelts,sometimes wear them, sometimes not. Only "lap" belt anyway so no good for the old noggin.

Being a mtorcyclist you tend not to think about stuff like that much.

However I was planning on buying a pair of "Davida classic" helmets.

They look very period and would also afford reasonable protection from both the elements and the accidents.

Mychael

Reproduction mirrors have to meet up with more modern safety standards, hence they usually have radiused corners and a rubber surround.

Clive

I find this difficult to believe, but if correct I'm not surprised.

It's the usual safety bullshit which killed off the TR6 (yes, I accept there were other reasons) and given there are so many other components that would now be considered "unsafe" how does anyone restore one of our cars (or other marques for that matter) to its original specification if secondhand parts are unavailable and repro parts need to conform to such bollocks!

Next we'll have airbags fitted to repro steering wheels and ABS fitted to replacement brake calipers!

I'm lucky I suppose, TRK is 85% original and it’ll stay that way!

Regards

Andrew

Getting off topic a bit but on the theme of "making it safe, idiot proof and bloodstain resistant ,etc, etc." I was watching the practice day of the Grand Prix here in Australia.

Somebody had spun out and the commentator mentioned how good it was to have the "anti-stall" fitted so they could continue, then they were going on about the traction control to help avoid "spinning the wheels". Around this time I was fast loosing interest , then Stirling Moss was interviewed and like a breath of fresh air made the comment that racing today was similer in name only. He grew up with "road racing" and the risk was part of the fun and the challenge.

This is why I'll drive hrs to watch historic racing but will never bother with formula one.

It's also why I get frustrated when our government keeping pushing "safer roads and better cars" instead of "Better drivers".

Ok,, off my soapbox now.  lol

Mychael

Just on that theme a little bit longer. If anyone in the UK ever comes across copies of a magazine called "Australian Sports car world Quarterly" Grab it.

It's long gone now, went from early 70's to mid 80's as I recall. All the articles "some a little tongue in cheek" were written by genuine enthusiasts. Of particular enjoyment was a single page article titled "Of cars and men" written under the Nom de plume of Romsey Quints. Who as I recall was really Wilson Tuckey.

Mychael

Guest tonygerrard

My rearview is very similar to Andrew's but I vaguely recall it came off a Rover (no idea what happened to the original).  I imagine this style of mirror was a standard item in the 50s / 60s.

Cheers

Tony