Over here in Canada, a fair few people leave winter tyres on during the summer where temps get up to the mid 30C. I assume and hope that they perform OK, but you can usually recognise them from the extra road noise.

Some even use studs into summer. :angry:

Cheers

Graeme

Or keep a Land Rover Series 1 (1956) for the crazy winter days when the TR ain't up to the prevailing conditions.

The S1 also makes a decent summer car when devoid of it's truck-cab (hardtop) and door-tops (sidescreens). Just divide speed and acceleration by two, at least. But the smiles and waves of pedestrains and other drivers is still the same, or better.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you believe that I went to the local tyre garage (Centrale American) this morning to get a quote for four winter tyres for the X6. I have two sizes (rear 315/35/20/110Y and front 275/40/20/106Y). They quoted me EUR 2,201 for JUST four tyres for the car.

Then I went on line to www.pneusonline.be. It’s actually a German company with a Belgian website. They will send the tyres from Germany to another local garage in Brussels for EUR 36. I ordered four Dezent High Gloss alloys AND four winter tyres (Vredesteins 4 Extreme 275/40/20/V – the best 4x4 winter tyre*) for EUR 2,178 (GBP 1815) including the postage. So I have decided to go down the route of separate alloys for winter and summer tyres. As the tyres are already balanced, I expect not to pay more than EUR 40 for fitting (or should I get them rebalanced?).

I can use the BMW badge on the Dezent alloys so I don't look like a total pimp. I just have to wait until next Saturday to get them fitted. As it snowed lightly last night, it's a bit of a risk...

* see http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Wintrac-4-Extreme.htm and http://wintertyrereviews.co.uk/vredestein-wintrac-4-xtreme/

Edited by Trigbush

It might be worth reducing the wheel size down to 19" or less (if the car allows) to benefit from a higher profile (and cheaper) tyre. Those are huge bits of rubber in any case, but I think oversized wheels are more of a fashion statement (by the car makers) than practical. I have used pneusonline for my tyres in the past. Very pleased, fast delivery and the tyres weren't 3 years old when I got them (a complaint common to some online suppliers who shift old stock).

(Check DOT code to see the manufactured date)

Thanks Mitch. I thought about that but was not clear as whether I could go to 19" or not. I previously thought I could. But I called a chap at an alloy place in Essex who told me that there might be an issue with caliper spacing. Well, let's look at it this way, he did not immediately say it would be no problem. So I played safe. The difference in price was not very consdierable. Perhaps 150 quid.

Trigbush, although you're sorted now at not much cost, anyone else with the same question about wheel size, the manufacturers website is a useful guide, and if it's a German car, then the .de website will have the winter wheel/tyre combo for your car as this is a regular option in Germany.

If your car is not a current model, the original brochure, if you still have it, or a call to the dealer will get the answer. I have an Audi A4 estate (B6 to 2004) which the base model had 15" steel wheels which I bought from Audi for not much money to fit the winter tyres to. The next model though has a min wheel size of 16" and Audi don't do a steel wheel in that size so my colleagues with that car have bought the cheapest Audi alloys to use with winter boots.

For anyone needing a method of storing wheels with tyres, I found this on Amazon to be great value for £25.

Cartrend 7730056 Rim Stand with Tyre Protection Case

I ordered four Dezent High Gloss alloys AND four winter tyres (Vredesteins 4 Extreme 275/40/20/V – the best 4x4 winter tyre*) for EUR 2,178 (GBP 1815) including the postage.

Trigbush, although you're sorted now at not much cost,

I suppose all things are relative!

For that sort of money I could get winter tyres....................already attached to a Land Rover :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose all things are relative!

They are, I meant not much cost between his 20 or 19" wheel options. Be kind, he's already suffering £400 a week depreciation on an X6 :o

By contrast, 4 Audi supplied steel wheels, a set of Continental Winter Contacts for them, fully fitted & balanced cost me just £350.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a quick report back on this for those that are interested in the AVON ice touring tyres that I bought. I ran them on LEJog so whilst no snow, we had all the other weather. The tyres were just superb and once I'd got the right pressure (24psi) they stuck like glue when I wanted and slid very nicely when I spun the rear of the TR4 up. Unlike the Vredesteins I've used before these have nice thick sidewalks, so no silly punctures or sidewall damage.

I can recommend these tyres wholeheartedly and at less that £250 for 5 they are cheap.

Regards

Tony