Pinking & Lumpy

Hi

Just a quick update, i have not got it balanced quite right just yet but i am getting there (nice tank full of fresh V Power has helped a tad). The 1st time i had a go all was going well, got them all pretty close bar one and then realised i had not put the choke fully in :angry:. No 3 & 4 i think the spindle is slightly twisted so just a bit more fettling otherwise a new spindle. Its just finding the time (bit busy at work). The MOT is booked in for tomorrow so hopefully that will go well too :D.

Anyway a BIG thank you to all that have helped me and advised me, a special place this Forum is. ;)

Thank you. ^_^

• 3 months later...

An update & Fuel Hose Question: -

I have not been able to spend much time in the garage, an hour tops at a time once a week, but I have been able to buy a few things, so I have removed the throttle linkage and re-bushed it and also straightened it which was probably causing 5 & 6 to be out of balance with the others. I have managed to get 3 & 4 to open together (with a little force with some bits of wood). It is now back together and the butterflies are opening together, I just need to spend some time to balance them with the engine a hot.

I have bought a decent timing light, vacuum gauge, compression tester and a fuel pressure gauge; I have fitted a permanent tee test piece in the fuel line adjacent to the metering unit. I have only managed to test the pressure with the ignition on and no engine running but it is giving me 106 psi, when fitting the test piece I notice the outer part of the fuel hose was perished and parting from the inner pipe.

Therefore, I need a new fuel hose, who is selling the better hose's i.e. R9 or Teflon inner. Is it worth buying braided or just go for the standard. I have had a look at all of the usual suspects but none of them state which hose they use and they all seem to be of a similar price.

I would be interested in your comments and recommendation’s on where & what to buy.

Many thanks.

I bought a braided one from Moss when I replaced all the rubber hoses in the summer.

It fitted straight up and my fuel problems are gone, so i'm happy.

I would recommend replacing ALL the rubber hoses, i was getting tiny specs of rubber in the injectors causing sporadic misfires, the car has run faultlessly since the new hoses and fuel filter.

steve

Cheers Steve

Did you do the PRV to Pump with braided from moss, I am assuming you are running with the Lucas set up.

I did manage to do the rubber pipes in the boot before I got ill, as you say, worth doing.

Hi Kevo

i have a Bosch, installed by Racestoration so the 996 type in the rear wheel arch.

I replaced the rubber pipes :

from the tank to the filter

filter to pump

pump to prv

prv to metal fuel line.

then replaced the one from the fuel line to the MU with the braided one from Moss, chose this to match the braided pi lines and oil cooler lines.

since this work the car has been significantly improved, smoother and never a hesitation when accelerating :-)

HTH

steve

Hi Neil

Yes it does look original, when squeezed between fingers the inner core feels solid. My thoughts were that as I was fannying around down there it would be worth changing it.