Seized brake piston

It never rains, but.....!!!

TRK has a rusted-in/seized piston in my n/s brake caliper (plug retainer side) and it won't budge, even after copious amounts of WD40 and tentative use of a hammer and wood; so far I've resisted using heat!

Although the manual say don't touch it, has anyone removed the plug retainer? I'm thinking of doing this to "encourage" it out from the rear - so to speak!

Any further suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

I converted my front brakes to discs some time back. None of the pistons would come out, or even rotate. I found that by removing the nozzle end from a lever-type grease gun the flexible pipe could be screwed (gently, dont damage the thread) into the brake pipe hole on the caliper. A few pumps of high pressure grease got one piston moving. Then clamp in the one thats moving and pump out the second. I was suprised just how easily they came out. Good luck.

Les

Re greasegun method

It was easy to clean out any grease left in the caliper with meths followed by a blow through with an airline. You will probably clean out the piston bores with fine emery paper so it will need a good clean anyway. Mine were quite rusty but new pistons and seals have been very successful. No trace of fluid leaks since fitted 3 years ago.

Les

Using the greasegun method pushes the seized pistons out in a controlled manner. The piston will only move out in relation to the amount of grease pumped in. Using compressed air alone means that when something does move, a lot of stored energy must be released with a bang, and can do some damage.

Grease-gun connector wouldn't fit, so got the bugger out by re-connecting to system and plenty of WD40, what a mess; then 1,500 grit and elbow grease.

The stainless steel pistons, new sealing rings and dust covers are all now doing their job and I'm able to brake in a straight line.

Thanks all

Andrew