Iv come to change the clutch on my "2" and im wondering if this is a good opportunity to modify it by fitting a diaphragm cover as apposed to a spring type. My question  to those who may be able to help is, what parts do i need to do the modification? and can i hope for a lighter pedal as i suffer with bad knees and after a few miles it becomes difficult to use the clutch.

Thanks  John.

I think you need the later gearbox input shaft, to use the clutch plate that goes with the diafragm type clutch cover. So the gearbox has to be dismantled.

If you get the flywheel redrilled and tapped (on a lathe, because the clutch cover should be exactly centered), you can keep your starter motor.

I think there should be no problem to fit a modern clutch, I got a Sachs clutch, as used by Saab/Volvo on my TR3A, but as Marcel says the flywheel has to be redrilled to accept the new plate. On the gearbox nothing was changed, the modification was done in Belgium so there is not a great help with concern to addresses. Anyhow I would advise a good machine shop to do the works, the parts are available.

Jean

My TR2 is now fitted with a TR4a clutch, which is much lighter.  In addition I have a servo, just like the one you'd put on the brakes, fitted.  It's Japaneese light now!  (Well, it will be when it is filled with fluid!

(Please note flywheel was re-drilled to accept the later clutch.  Gearbox unchanged! )

There is another Glavon member who has done this to their tr also due to a bad knee.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an asside...

The Inlet Manifold will also require modification if you fit a servo.  It needs a nipple (erm... is that the right word? ) to connect the servo pipe onto.  If you're fitting a brake servo as well you will need two of the things putting in.  Jigsaw Racing did this for me while they were rebuilding my engine to sage 2.

Dave,

I looked into the twin servo option when I investigated what to do to lighten the clutch.  The problem is (according to Revingtons who spoke with the manufacturer) that although they are twin servos, they do not act entierly independantly of each other.  

Two servos do fit in the engine bay, one above the other.  If you'd prefer it not to be so cluttered you could fit one up in the passenger footwell, hidden by the dashboard.

Thanks everyone for your help, i managed to get a 4A clutch kit from local factors, old stock so came cheap, anyway  i rang Moss about additional parts i would need and they put me through to Peter Cox who was extremly helpful, he arranged to have a flywheel redrilled and lightened and sent if up to me along with new carrier for the release bearing , seal and gasket and told me to shorten the sleeve to 2 inches plus various tips on doing the convertion, all i need to do now is fit the lot, may have to wait though,  "its snowing"

Fantastic service for a 50 yr old car and everyones input is very much appreciated.

Cheers  John.