One day I will stop talking/thinking about this and actually start rebuilding the thing.  However, I still have a niggling doubt that the proverbial box of bits that will on day be my new back axle isn't all it should be. (Not much else on the car has been after all).

I have checked all of the bearings, seals, brake back plates etc and all seem compatible. That only leaves the axle tube itself.  Is it from a 3 or a 4 (which had a longer tube)?

Can anyone tell me the length of either?

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I can answer part of your question. Seen the wider track of the TR4 it's obvious that the TR4 axle is wider, to say the tube between the outer flange and the diff is longer.

I just measured for you the distance between the diff, where the tube starts and the inner side of the flange, where the  backplate nuts are located, and this gave me 34cm. It's a 60 TR3A.

As the axle is on the car it's impossible, due to the brackets, to measure the ouside end of the tube   :(

Jean

Oh dear, why did I think that this would be straight forward?

The distances on my axle tube from the inside face of the flange to the diff housing is 34.5cm on one side (LHS, I think) and 36.5 on the other.

As the track on the TR4 is 3" greater than that on a TR3, I suspect that mine is a TR axle as the dimensions are not much differenet to Jean's.  However, would be very grateful if anyone could check these on their axle.  (TR3 or 4).

I really don't want to end up having spent hours rebuilding an axle tht is too wide or that for some reason has the diff offset.

Dave

Dave, I just measured the tube on LH side, for symmetry you will have to measure the distance between the flanges and the centre of the driveshaft, the diff casing itself is not symmetric as the crownwheel is mounted on one side in the casing.

This might show the difference in tube length .

Jean

Hi Dave/Jean

I am about to fit a Girling axle to my TR2, to replace the wornout Lockheed. I was given the axle as a "spare " when I bought the car, but I was not sure if it was from a '3' or a '4'. I was worried that a '4' axle might cause clearance problem with the wheelarches. Careful measuring shows that it is almost identical to my Lockheed axle, so I am 99.9% sure its from a '3'. The overall length from outside of flanges is 155mm. The LH tube from inside flange to diff is 34.5. The RH tube from inside flange to diff is 36.5. Although the overall length of the casing is greater than the Lockheed, the brakes are narrower so this keeps the overall width of the assembled axles almost the same. I hope this helps.

If you are changing from Lockheed to Girling you will need the larger 'U' bolts and spring plates, and brake pipes to suit.

The axle I have has had the mounting feet, where it sits on the springs, cut off, I can easily replace these but I need to know the measurement from the face of the foot to the axle tube, to keep the ride height and suspension movement limits correct, and the length of the foot. Thanks.

Les