TR3a radiator air scoop

Pete, I'm afraid that you will not find any diagram in any manual, this goes for most parts specific to a TR3A. The original workshop manual was made for the TR2 with an appendix for the 3, but nothing for the 3A, and it went on that way.

The air-ducts are more or less self-explanatory, you will have to bend the edges to 90deg. at the indicated places, connect them via the cross-band which will be located against the top of the radiator.

As far as I remember the lower front part (with the holes)

is attached to front side of the inner wings just behind the indicators. This ducts are a rather doubtfull construction I must say.

I have replaced mine by alu panels attached to the inner horizontal part of the apron.

Jean

p.s. Moss catalogue page 10 , if you do not have it send me your mail address and I scan it for you

If you imagine that you are trying to replicate the shape of a TR2 "mouth" between your radiator grille and the radiator you shouldn't go much wrong.

Triumph may have thought the braod grin of the TR3a looked better, but they soon found out it didn't work better!

Guest tonygerrard

Some months ago there was an article in TRaction about a USA car which had a scoop underneath the rad (as opposed to the normal side-mounted ducts) which looked very interesting - simple too.  May be worth checking out if you tend to overheat...

TG

I have made an opening in the bottom of the front apron, the same as the TR3s Le Mans cars had.

If you look at the apron design you will notice again that it covers around 1/3 of the radiator  :(

I agree that this will not fully cover the cooling when the car is immobilized and idling, but it will for sure allow for better cooling when driving :)

So my thinking was to keep the engine as cool as possible BEFORE I'm stuck in traffic :D

Jean