Is this a tropical fan?

Nothing to do with me. Can the decreased horsepower from incrementally greater wind resistance really make any difference at all?

Dan

Well, if you drive fast enough, the wind across the radiator can convert the fan in a wind turbine, and one would gain some power. In the limit one could even cut the ignition and leave the wind turn the crank... ;-)

Jesus

I have a 6-bladed tropical fan that (as I'm told) was taken directly from an early GT6. It's exactly the same as the one I have (also as I'm told) from a TR3 as it was broken up for parts. The center hole on the GT6 MkI/II six-blade fan is the same as my TR3Bs original four-blade fan (30.5 mm ± 0.2 diameter)

Here's the plate from the early GT6 factory parts manual showing the fan. Note that the draftsman shows a definite arc to at least one of the blades. I've never seen that on a tropical fan -- every one of the dozen or so I've seen has had perfectly flat blades.

Triumph%20GT6%20early%206-blade%20fan%20

A machinist I know is working on one of my tropical fan blades to get it ready to put on my car -- summertime temperatures well into the 90s °F (32+ °C) are common here and I'm trying to keep as much of the original tech on my car intact. I'll gladly sacrifice some horsepower for more efficient cooling.

Here's mine before and as restoration is ongoing (awaiting peening of the rivets). I did *not* trust the cracked, bent, and almost certainly fatigued condition of the original blades.

IMG_4708-L.jpg

Tropical%20Fan%20Restoration%20Underway%

Wow, almost too beautiful to hide it between the rad and the engine.

Now, I really would like to read (and learn) how you can balance this work of art properly.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

Menno, the engine in my TR3B was fully balanced during rebuilding, so I really don't need the harmonic balancing of the fan. I also keep it below 4500 rpm (most of the time) so that reduces stresses, too.

I'll check the balance of it using something like this, and make small adjustments as needed to get it close by removing metal.

image_12675.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-98488.html

Edited by Don H.