Space saver spare - What about a TR2/3 wheel?

You may think this scenario unlikely, remember the Land Rover towing a trailer which did almost the same thing where a contributory factor was said to be the drivers lack of sleep ? He's now in jail.

I fully appreciate the point you are making Mick but just to be clear, so far as I am aware, insurance companies can't wriggle out of paying the 3rd party element of a claim due to the Policy holder's actions or inaction or whatever.

Fully agree Chris, however if I used such a tyre mix I think I may be more concerned that the insurance will definitely use such a scenario against myself and use the fitment of a different size tyre (illegal)as a means to deny any cover for losses covered by me, (Train operators and Network Rail can fight their own corner).

I think the Police and legal system would be definitely interested in prosecuting any such illegal tyres use, and as outlined in the actual example recounted a financial fine is not their only recourse. When a high profile incident such as that outlined happens a jail sentence is often demanded by the press and relatives of involved and hurt personages, as happened in the example given.

You know all things considered I think I'd much rather not be involved in such a life changing experience, standard size tyres all round for me with the appropriate spare.

Mick Richards

This thread has some interesting food for thought.

My Merc has different size tyres, 245/18 front and 275/18 rear. The wheels, fitted by a PO, are a Merc option but clearly they did not specify carrying two spares. In fact the spare is a stock 16 inch alloy with a 225 tyre. All of the tyres have the same rolling circumference (within 2%, having different aspect ratios) but it would seem that if I fit the spare to either axle, I am breaking the law.

Hi Chris,

if your spare wheel and tyre assembly is a Mercedes approved fitment to accompany the Mercedes approved optional wheels and tyres then yes it's legal . . . .

anything less than Mercedes approved all round and it isn't legal . . . .

that's my understanding.

Cheers

Alec